The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quick FMIC Question

DamanC

I thought as much, hence why its sitting next to me now :D

Im guessing its no longer needed and the car has no need for it?

Its just the aircon fan. So no real need for it. You may just notice your aircon being slightly warmer if stuck in traffic.

Am i right in thinking you have to do away with the fan in front of the rad? :search:

Which fan Daman? There's 2 or 3, the Big viscous fan and the little air con one (I think some have another small one but don't recall what it does).

These are behind the rad though.

Which fan Daman? There's 2 or 3, the Big viscous fan and the little air con one (I think some have another small one but don't recall what it does).

These are behind the rad though.

The one in front of the radiator. Not the uber viscous bad boy, the smaller one (although its not that small).

I cant see how you would me it fit either. Mines only a two row and seeing where your told to mount it there is probably nearly and inch of extra space needed. Im guessing extra 'rows' are added to the front of the IC (foward if the mounting points) so the distance from the radiator to the IC remains the same wheathers its a 2,3,5 row?

Did you fellas have to mod the fan in any way?

The one in front of the radiator. Not the uber viscous bad boy, the smaller one (although its not that small).

I cant see how you would me it fit either. Mines only a two row and seeing where your told to mount it there is probably nearly and inch of extra space needed. Im guessing extra 'rows' are added to the front of the IC (foward if the mounting points) so the distance from the radiator to the IC remains the same wheathers its a 2,3,5 row?

Did you fellas have to mod the fan in any way?

The number of rows has nothing to do with the thickness of the IC. It's really not clear to me whether the fan you refer to is beforeor after the rad. If you are standing in front of the car is the fan before or after the radiator? If it's before then I'm stumped! Might be an auto thing.

• 3 weeks later...

i've just had to remove a fan from the front of the radiator (the bumper side rather than the engine side) to fit the FMIC in

mine's a facelift which i thought might have been the reason for it being there, but if yours is pre-facelift Daman then i'm wondering if it's an auto thing, since Gareth Eves didn't have one on his manual

i'll grab a picture of it later

I replaced my air con fan with an ultra slim Spal Unit....fits like a glove and still retains the cooling properties when your sitting at lights of in traffic etc

:yeahthat:

Make sure you get a push version rather than a pull one though.

Daman,

Here is a pic of my car several moons ago when I was fitting my Hybrid FMIC.

The fan is standard to Facelift Auto's and I managed to keep mine by tilting the FMIC only a few degrees from the vertical - it works a treat and you should be able to do that with yours as the Hybrid FMIC is quite a big beast;)

Image015a.jpg

Daman,

Here is a pic of my car several moons ago when I was fitting my Hybrid FMIC.

The fan is standard to Facelift Auto's and I managed to keep mine by tilting the FMIC only a few degrees from the vertical - it works a treat and you should be able to do that with yours as the Hybrid FMIC is quite a big beast;)

ah yes, that's the fella! to the right behind the crash bar

do you know what exactly it's for? assuming the non-facelifts did ok without it, i'm of the opinion it should be fine being removed :innocent: although i am wondering about getting a couple of new brackets made up to make the intercooler sit further forward and a touch lower so it will sit more flush with my Do Luck bumper

ah yes, that's the fella! to the right behind the crash bar

do you know what exactly it's for? assuming the non-facelifts did ok without it, i'm of the opinion it should be fine being removed

Wez mate, it is the AC fan that aids the cooling capability of the AC rad. As you have already mentioned, you can remove it and I personally don't think it will have a massive derogatory affect on the cooling; especially as we live in the UK and not some hot country (lol).

This was one of the added designs that Toyota included in the Facelift package.

Cheers mate;)

Christ this was dug out a little :)

I ditched mine in the end, i went on the theory that we dont need them here, althou saying that my aircon has given up........that may have someting to do with me undoing the aircon system accedently when moving it a little :( Ive never moved so frekin fast in my life to get a better angle on doing it up!

Wez mate, it is the AC fan that aids the cooling capability of the AC rad. As you have already mentioned, you can remove it and I personally don't think it will have a massive derogatory affect on the cooling; especially as we live in the UK and not some hot country (lol).

This was one of the added designs that Toyota included in the Facelift package.

Cheers mate;)

cheers dude, i feel a lot happier about the wreckless removal that was undertaken on Sunday now!