The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Easter Quiz - 20 Questions

b.weeks

Hi all,

Here are lots of questions I have about various bits and pieces. The only one I know for sure is Q11 as it came in useful when I took the dash off (but left it on for other people who might not know when reading this thread).

Q1: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q2: this comes out of the back of the front lights - it's a hollow rubber pipe bend but doesn't plug into anything. [see thumbnail]

Q3: This is infront of the radiator - what is it and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q4: Will removing this fuse cut remove the traction control? (i.e. no more pesky cutting in of traction control). Am I right in thinking that this also removes the speed limiter too? [see thumbnail]

Q5: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q6: What do each of these do - and what would be the symptom of removing them? [see thumbnail]

Q7: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q8: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q9: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q10: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q11: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q12: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q13: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q14: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q15: What is this and what does it do? [see thumbnail]

Q16: If I have an HKS Super Drager Exhaust - what diameter d-cat pipes do I need? [see thumbnail]

Q17: If I had a FCD (or TRL FCC) where would this be located? [Please attach pic if possible]

Q18: If I had a EGT gauge - where would I plug the thermometer into? [Please attach pic if possible]

Q19: If I have a BOV, where would this be located? [Please attach pic if possible]

Q20: Where is the ECU located? [Please attach pic if possible]

And for a bonus point:

Q21: Where is the wastegate? [Please attach pic if possible]

Enjoy - and expand my knowledge at the same time :-)

PS Left the MANU button out as don't want to start that one off again! ;-)

Cheers,

Ben.

Question 1.jpg

Question 2.jpg

Question 3.jpg

Question 4a.jpg

Question 4b.jpg

Question 5.jpg

Question 6.jpg

Question 7.jpg

Question 8.jpg

Question 9.jpg

Question 10.jpg

Question 11.jpg

Question 12.jpg

Question 13.jpg

Question 14.jpg

Question 15.jpg

Question 16.jpg

1. That is the valve for recharging the aircon.

2. Think its just a breather, should be a bit of foam in it.

5. Its the ignitor pack

7. Thats the stock BOV (recirculating valve)

8. Thats the charcoal cannister.

9. Thats the ABS unit

10. IACV Valve

11. Ejector Seat :D

13. Thats the Diff

14. One of the fixings that hold the diff in place.

15. Looks like an old exhaust mount rubber.

17. Probably next to the ECU on the passenger footwell.

19. Where the stock Recirculating valve is.

20. Passenger footwell behind the carpet behind a plastic panel.

Hows that for starters ?

:)

Steve - a good start indeed :-) Indeed #2 does have a bit of foam in it - does it need to breathe so the lens doesn't get steamed up or something? Was thinking #7 was the BOV - but I can't feel anywhere for the air to come out (is it all re-circulated?). Do aftermarket BOVs have any performance advantages or just for "show"? Which ones are recommended?

#8 - what does the charcoal cannister actually do?

#10 - will go do Google that me thinks

#11 - that must be Uk Spec - J-spec it's the auto-destruct button isn't it? :-)

My answers wedged in the quote in italics :)

-Ian

1. That is the valve for recharging the aircon. High pressure side with sight glass to see if there is foam in the system or not

2. Think its just a breather, should be a bit of foam in it. Yup, attempts to stop the light misting up

3. No idea, the picture is too close-up and blurred to make out any detail :shrug:

4. On a UK spec I think it does do both. You may get an annoying flashy warning light though. Try it and see :)

5. Its the ignitor pack

6. Those are ABS and traction control relays. If you remove any of them the ABS and or traction control will stop working

8. Thats the charcoal cannister.

9. Thats the ABS unit Yup, The pump that pushes back on your foot to release the brakes when lockup is detected

10. IACV Valve Actually it's the ICV ;) The Intake Air Control Valve (IACV) is part of the seqential setup, the Idle Control Valve is that bit. But I'm fairly sure Steve knew this, just got the acronym wrong :) it controls how much air gets to the engine at idle. It's responsible for warm and cold starting as part of that role.

11. Ejector Seat :D I've no idea, I'm a 6 speed hero :innocent:

12. Why, 'tis that crazy relay box again from question 6!

13. Thats the Diff

15. Looks like an old exhaust mount rubber. Yup

16.Looks 3" to me but you've photographed the one section of the exhaust that doesn't have a CAT, the other bits may be 2.5" necked up to 3" for the back box.

17. Probably next to the ECU on the passenger footwell. Yes, it'll be spliced into the main wiring loom going into your ECU.

18. You would drill and tap a hole into one of the runners on your exhaust manifold and put it in there. Or possibly, pay someone else to do it :)

19. Where the stock Recirculating valve is. Or it may be on pretty much any part of the intake system between turbo and throttle plate if you've got hard pipes

Hows that for starters ?

:)

My answers wedged in the quote in italics :)

Oh cockit the whole quote is in italics LOL My answers are now in bold :rolleyes:

-Ian

1. That is the valve for recharging the aircon. High pressure side with sight glass to see if there is foam in the system or not

2. Think its just a breather, should be a bit of foam in it. Yup, attempts to stop the light misting up

3. No idea, the picture is too close-up and blurred to make out any detail :shrug:

4. On a UK spec I think it does do both. You may get an annoying flashy warning light though. Try it and see :)

5. Its the ignitor pack

6. Those are ABS and traction control relays. If you remove any of them the ABS and or traction control will stop working

8. Thats the charcoal cannister. It does emissions stuff and stuff :yawn:

9. Thats the ABS unit Yup, The pump that pushes back on your foot to release the brakes when lockup is detected

10. IACV Valve Actually it's the ICV ;) The Intake Air Control Valve (IACV) is part of the seqential setup, the Idle Control Valve is that bit. But I'm fairly sure Steve knew this, just got the acronym wrong :) it controls how much air gets to the engine at idle. It's responsible for warm and cold starting as part of that role.

11. Ejector Seat :D I've no idea, I'm a 6 speed hero :innocent:

12. Why, 'tis that crazy relay box again from question 6!

13. Thats the Diff

15. Looks like an old exhaust mount rubber. Yup

16.Looks 3" to me but you've photographed the one section of the exhaust that doesn't have a CAT, the other bits may be 2.5" necked up to 3" for the back box.

17. Probably next to the ECU on the passenger footwell. Yes, it'll be spliced into the main wiring loom going into your ECU.

18. You would drill and tap a hole into one of the runners on your exhaust manifold and put it in there. Or possibly, pay someone else to do it :)

19. Where the stock Recirculating valve is. Or it may be on pretty much any part of the intake system between turbo and throttle plate if you've got hard pipes

Hows that for starters ?