The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering Wheel removal

Sharpie

Removal of the stock steering wheel (4 spoke)

OK, I have the air bag off and unpluged the airbag harness and the CC harness AND removed the 19mm nut but, the wheel will not come off ?

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1769692&a=30264134&p=61128183

This guy uses some kind of steering wheel removal tool but, not seen these before:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1769692&a=30264134&p=61128188

Can anyone help ?

TIA

That removal tool is just a puller of some sort.

Yours is probably just stuck on the spline, have you tried giving it an even whack on the back?

If not then find someone with a puller or go to a tool hire place.

Paul

Edit: looking at the first pic shows the two tapped holes so it's designed to take a puller.

Originally posted by Terminator

Spray a little WD 40 on the shaft and wait 20 minutes.

Always put the nut back on for a few turns when using brute force or you may take your teeth out.

I have only ever used BF to remove steering wheels, it always works.

its worked 99%of the time for me but i bent the steering wheel on my old mk2 astra and it still wouldnt come off. i resorted to a big bar through the wheel and i few f**ks later it came off

Originally posted by leett

try putting the nut back on loosely and give the top of the nut a whack with a hammer. that should loosen it up or if you havent got a puller ive always used brute force

I tried this and...... well, was a bit of a girl not wanting to bust the shaft/Nut so, gave up.

I'll put some WD40 on and leave it over night.

The torx screws were WELL tight!!!! The wheel was off the spindle back in July as Toyota had to fix a heater problem (dash off) so, thought it would come of fairly easy....I guess not.

The guy at an engineering workshop got my mates MX3's wheel off by:- 1 Guy holding and pulling the steering wheel towards himself as a second guy with a copper drift and a big assed hammer carefully bashed the drive section. Two smacks of the hammer and it was off. So hold steering wheel firmly and pull firmly (not too firmly you knock teeth out when it gives) Get copper drift (not a steel one or an extension bar but copper or brass) get a nicely wheighted hammer as you wont be able to wield it much with the glamourous helper holding/pulling the wheel in the way. Place drift on the steering drive end (the bit that you took the nut off of). Smack firmly with wheighty hammer (be carefull to keep drift square and hit the drift square as it could result in much ouchness if you slip off in that confined area). The shock should jolt the steering wheel loose. Don't beat three shades out of it if it doesn't come off the first few times. Get some wd40 on there and try again in a couple of hours.

Originally posted by Peter Sharp

No, the nut came of relatively easy. I spoke with the guy at Toyo who has had my dash off a couple of times and he said that BF WILL take it off, they have a puller which I could of used but, I used some BF and it did come off :)

Cheers All.

Well done Peter :) I've got to do mine next :)