The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rattling from EGCV/Turbo area?

outatime

I've noticed a rattle has developed over the last week somewhere near the EGCV/Turbo housing. I realise sounds are hard to diagnose over the net, but it is like a metallic rattle when I lift off the throttle.

There is no loss in boost or performance. Searching pointed me towards a faulty VSV/Actuator arm or Reed valve, as i'm running in hose TTC I doubt it is either of those... any ideas?

Cheers.

it is the egcv . this is just happening cos the system is slighly depressurising. u probably have a very slight leak at a hose connection. it will do this until u fully repressurise the system (drive above 4k rpm with +ve boost). do this and i bet it stops. it probably only does it after the car has been sat overnight?

this is why hose TTC is not ideal for a permanent solution.

Eyefi,

Have you 'hardwired' your Supra into TTC yet? Whats involved in that? I think i will go ETTC instead, keep my options open.

Mine probably depressurised as it was standing over the christmas holidays and since then i've been driving off-boost due to the shitty roads.

Originally posted by outatime

Have you 'hardwired' your Supra into TTC yet? Whats involved in that? I think i will go ETTC instead, keep my options open.

I done this at the weekend. Although I only wired open the exhaust valve. I had a spare boost pipe for the top butterfly valve so I completely removed it to allow the air to flow more freely. Should take no more than a hour to do, removing the butterfly valve from the top hose is simple. Getting to the bottom one is a pain as the circlip that hold the actuator arm on is on the opposite side and you cant see it to remove it. I just used a bit of force :D ;) and it came off eventually.!!! :innocent:

Thanks Barry, doesn't sound too difficult. Thats the same method as the MKIV.com permanent TTC isn't it?

I'm not sure if i want to commit to permanent TTC yet, the power delivery is more suitable for the sort of driving I do around here in the winter - open roads. In the summer with all the traffic about I suspect i'll miss the 'nippyness' of sequential.

I still think ETTC is the best option...

Yep, thats the mkiv.com permanent way.

If you still have the jap ceramics then you are probalby best off still using it in sequential mode. I went stage 3 hybrid a while ago and low down power is pretty crap in seq. mode. Now I'm in TTC it feels much better, hardly any low down grunt lost at all (I can hardly notice it) and the turbo's are both making decent boost by about 3700rpm, and show positive boost at about 2800rpm. Only problem now is for some reason its boosting way higher than it did in seq mode, I cant use any more than half throttle and thats about 17-20psi, full throttle will see over 30psi (approx 2 bar) by the looks of things. I think I must have had an air leak in the pressure system on the seq side of things, as I was only able to get about 20 (ish) psi at full throttle before. Then since bypassing one of the VSV's it goes mental.!

Question for everyone here...........

Are 'all' the VSV's used to control the seq setup?

Can they all be by passed in true twin mode?

My car does the same when coming off the pedal, when the engines cold it doesn't make a noise but once hot everytime you rev the engine you get a rattle from where the 1st turbo is or it could be coming from under the exhaust manifold headshield. Also when in a low gear when your driving slow it rattles aswell. Could it be something catching under the heatshield? It's so annoying!

Cheers,

Paul

what is exactly involved in ettc. how much would someone like matt harwood charge to do this???? is it simple enough to do yourself. i have read the mkiv.com article but havent actually looked at the car to see whats involved

cheers ..l.ee

I gave my Supra some welly last night and it was still there. This morning it had gone when I first started the car, once it was hot it reappeared again.

I'm 99% sure it is the actuator arm. I don't get why TTC makes it rattle if the VSV is out of the system? Is it rattling because it is no longer used or is it something to do with pressure?

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Not sure what mine is though but i think it's definetly something under the exhaust heatshield

Have a listen to the EGCV, its the silver 'coke can' thing under the Turbo housing. When I steady the actuator arm going into the EGCV, the rattling goes.

When I searched there was mention of reed valves (more like a frog sound) and rattling VSVs, both in the EGCV.

I'll find the thread for you...

Originally posted by outatime

Have a listen to the EGCV, its the silver 'coke can' thing under the Turbo housing

I wouldnt jump to conclusions, get it checked out by someone in the know. Put your Supra in TTC and see if it goes.

Is it boosting ok?

TTC will remove the EGCV from the system as it bypasses two of the VSVs. If the rattle stops, you have your culprit.

There is no noticeable power increase in TTC mode, just a change in power delivery. Both Turbos come in together at about 3800rpm, its less nippy lower down but more suitable for the type of driving I do. You need to change gear more to stay on boost though...

Its louder as well, more of a drone at low RPM but sounds awesome higher up.

Hose TTC takes about 10 mins, have a look at this

link, its quite easy but one of the hoses is a PITA to get on.

No motorways to see here :)

I know what you mean, I will go ETTC eventually - best of both worlds. Besides, turbo lag is just an excuse for not being in the right gear. ;)

You can go TTC to see if it is your EGCV rattling, then just put it back in sequential if you don't like it.

AFAIK, the EGCV rattle is not doing any harm. If there is something wrong, all the bits and bobs are replaceable - you shouldn't need the whole EGCV unit.

:thumbs: