The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dodgy (belt?) Noise

JamesArup

I only heard this this morning having washed the car yesterday and spraying the belts with a bit of that non-slip stuff. There was a noticeable high pitched 'clicking' noise when I started the car ... Imagine the sound of a piece of paper on fan blades and that's what it sounded like. After about 10 mins, it quietened down a little bit ... but it was still there. The noise was coming from the right-hand side of the engine (as you look at it from front-on), and sounded like it was coming from the pulleys over there?

Wez and I had a little look at it at the mini-meet today, and the top pulley has a very slight wobble in it (like 1-2mm or so), so we wondered if that may be causing it. To be honest though, once I got home it had quitened down alot. However, I got the torch out and noticed that the bottom pulley was so close to part of the hosing from my FMIC that it has actually cut into it (see attached pic!). I assume that is a bad thing? To be honest, the FMIC pipes look a bit tired, so it would be nice to replace it with some Samco's anyway. Any ideas if you can get direct Samco replacements for an ARC FMIC?

Cheers for any help,

J :cool:

hosecut.jpg

I can't quite see from the pic, but isn't that the air compressor pulley that's touching the hose? Whatever, the hose needs moving forward somehow, that's much too close for comfort! It may be possible to shorten / lengthen some part of the hose system to create more clearance, have a look from below with the undertray off.

Hmmm, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is what under the bonnet, so I am not 100% sure which pulley it is. If you are looking at the car head on, it is the bottom one on the far right? I've attached another pic from a different angle. The arrow points to the hose where the pulley is touching. Just had another look with a torch, and it has actually cut a 1-2mm deep trench out of the hose :eek: :eek:

To me the hose that is on there looks really thick? I was wondering if a piece of Samco would be a bit thinner, and thus allow a bit more clearance for the pulley? My guys are fitting your cat pipes on Thursday Chris, so I will get them to have a look at that while they are under there! :p

Cheers, J :cool: :p

engbay1.jpg