The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-Turbo Conversion

Paul Laing

I'm thinking about this conversion, or selling my car and getting a Twin Turbo. Just wondered what you guys think? All though i know what most of the replys will be, as nobody has done this conversion yet.

Have a look on http://www.powerhouseracing.com and let me know what you think about there kit. Comes with a Garrett GT60 Turbo, HKS Intercooler and works with the standard electronics, head gasket and clutch. Boost Logic are also moving into this field and are nearly finished there kit.

Iv'e checked the US Supraforums and theres loads of people over there with NA-T conversions, with power ranging from 350rwhp to 650/700rwhp. They know there stuff......

Any views or info would be great,

Paul :)

I personally would love to see someone go for it this side of the pond. If you're going for c. 350BHP then obviously it's gonna be cheaper and way less hassle to just sell and buy a TT, but if you're jumped straight up to considerably more power then I guess the cost difference narrows somewhat. Biggest problem is nobody's done it here before, so it's gonna cost a lot more than it does in the States, where it's fairly common.

:looney:

not sure if i'm gonna do it yet, might be better to sell the car, but if i did do it then i'd be doing the conversion by myself....with some help from my Dad who knows shit loads about engines.

The hardest bit would be setting it up, but a rolling road place would sort this out i suppose.

Still not sure whether it's worth it......mmmmmm

Paul, bolting all the bits together is easy if you have a fair understanding of mechanics. Don't be intimidated by it, its just a big mechano set. Tweaking and tuning and getting it running right is a PITA but anything is possible! Did my big-single swap at the beginning of july, and I've just got to the point where I can begin to tune the car. I went full throttle for the first time last night!

i'm still thinking about this Turbo conversion, you get a whole new fuel management, hks intercooler, walbro fuel pump, new manifold, downpipe etc. The Americans reckon the NA engine should of came with 450bhp from the factory as they love this power....They also reckon (from multiple posts iv'e read get 12/13 second quarters with these kits.

Still very much appealing :)