The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air con not working?

Paul

I had my air con re-gassed back in September last year and all was well, ice cold.

Now, today I tried it out (preparing for the heatwave :p) and it's not working?

The revs don't rise when switched on so I assume the compressor isn't kicking in which according to previous posts can be down to low or no gas?

Are there any other things to look for, fuses, relays etc. as the system was checked for leaks at the time of re-gas only 7 or 8 mths back.

Phoned the bloke that did it and he said it could be a number of things (write a blank cheque time) and it could have lost the gas through a small leak that is too small to detect??? (waste of time leak testing it then mate :( )

So, fuses and things, are there any or simply a re-gas, AGAIN.

Paul

Is the aircon compressor clutch engaging? if not try disconnecting the aircon valve switch near the aircon refil point which is on the passenger side near the back of the engine, this should from what i was told awhile ago kick start the aircon compressor.

see attached.

untitled.JPG

the clutch is located at the centre of the compressor pulley, you should see the centre bit move inwards once the clutch has engaged the compressor.

it is possible that the aircon system has shut down as a safey feature when there isnt enough gas in the system..

it is possible that the aircon system has shut down as a safey feature when there isnt enough gas in the system..

Yeah but I only had it re-gassed in September and leak checked? I guess kick starting the compressor won't work without enough gas?

I'd try and unplug the valve switch mentioned before, it might actually be the aircon pressure switch which could bypass the aircon safty feature, if it does kick into life, check the aircon spy hole to see if there is any gas circulating around the system.. if there is, and its cold enough, it could well be that the pressure switch as gone..

Paul, do a search for aircon diagnostic and find the thread that tells you the two aircon buttons to press and hold in while turning on the ignition. The system will then flash all it's lights in diagnostic mode and then give you a flashing fault code. I've attached the list of fault codes for ya.

Mine is bushed too - solar sensor circuit or something daft...

Duffers

:D

air con.jpg

Had a look on my handy CD workshop manual and it seems to say that there is a 7.5 amp fuse in the drivers kick panel box and also one of the large 50 amp fuses in the main under bonnet box both of which are related to the aircon.

Is this correct or have I got some dodgy american copy of the workshop manual?

Paul

The first thing to to do is have a pressure check. It may well have leaked, a slow leak will not show in a sniffer test. You may need a seal or two replacing. It is essential to run air con systems regularly all year or the seals harden and are pron to leak.

Right then, checked all fuses, took off the plug as above and tried but still nothing?

The compressor is not engaging, I also did the diagnostic test and have a light above the right hand side of the re-circulating air/through air switch(so, above through air).

From the list am I right in thinking that this is pressure switch related?

I guess that you can get this if low on gas too?

As I've checked all the simple things I think it's now time to give me wallet a caning and get some 'expert' in :thumbs:

Unless you guys have any more ideas?

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this:

Air con bloke came round tonight, very good and he run a series of tests.

He pressurises the system with Hydrogen (I think) to twice the operating pressure, about 4 bar, to see if you can hear any obvious leaks.

Then he vac tests the system using a pump and checks gauges to see if there is any rise in pressure which would indicate air getting in = leaks

Only then does he refill with new gas/oil and an ultraviolet dye. When full he then goes around with a UV light looking for leaks.

So three tests and nothing, yet all the gas had gone since September??

All works fine now, he did find a suspect joint at the bottom of the condenser unit though that showed a slight glow under UV light. He said to monitor over the next few weeks and if it looses gas again he will put a new seal in and re-gas f.o.c.

Interesting to see it being done this time.

Paul

sounds like he did a top job :respekt: who was he and how much did it cost to regas the system again, including tests?

mine had a leak and it was regassed with dye, but its still working so im guessing they might have but some sort of seal in the system along with the dye? who knows, at least its still working.

Local guy, self employed. Came recommended, I like the fact he spent two and a half hours and explained all he was doing.

Cost £60 cash and he only lives down the road so he said he'll pop straight back if I have problems.

Better than the last arsehole who f*cked it up for £100 !!

Paul