The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running like a Subapoo

Scott

Took my car to "The Garage" in Wishaw. After being messed around for a week and a half i decided to pick it up and have a go myself. The car has been lying out for this length of time and it has been absolutely pissing down here. I got into the car and it started hesitantly. Once going it had a sort of subaru rumble to it but i couldn't be arsed with the garage anymore so decided just to get it home.

I have taken off each of the coil pack connecters, one at a time, to see if there was any of them not making a difference. For each one i took off it ran worse so i'm guessing there is nothing wrong with the connectors, coilpacks or spark plugs. Other than that i don't have any experience of what else could be wrong. My best guess is water somewhere but i'll leave the diagnosing up to you guys.

Any ideas? Thanks.

When I had a missfire I took off each one doing the same see if one makes no difference test & it was worse on each one. I took the connectors apart, pushed the contacts so they were making better contact & it vanished, so I wouldn't rely entirly on the fact that just because every one made it worse it can't be coilpack related, HTH

Was it sitting outside with the bonnet off?

If not then id say its more likely that its something they have done rather than water ingress - many Supras park outside in heavy rain and snow and we dont see any other issues!

TRD replica bonnet unfortunately. Also, the sparky cover was off as i had a coilpack clip issue before.

Thanks for the replies guys, Jay.. the coilpack clips are new but i know what u mean about the contacts. Think i'll get my little screwdriver out and give them a little push out.

Think i'll take out the whole lot too (sparkplugs, coilpacks) and give it all a good cleaning out as its manky in there.

Thats a job for tomorrow though,

:thumbs:

I'd test the injectors 1 by one by taking the plugs off whiilst it's running - you may kill the engine a few times till you find the culprit.

Ahh ok, so no damage from doing the same as what i do with the sparkplugs then? No problem with running a dry spark?

Ok, gave it all a good clean and the good news is the car is running sweet as a nut. Only problem now is i only have the 1st turbo, when the 2nd one should be coming online the boost drops down to 0. I'm guessing something else is stuck open or not working properly.

Off i go searching :D

If any of u have any ideas to help me out, let me know. Might save me some time.

Thanks

Edit: THanks to Ian C it looks like an EGCV problem. Looking into it now.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)