The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto box issues and questions!

and1c

Ok, so now the car is all MOTd and road legal (yeeha) I've been able to do some proper road miles in it. Having never driven it before I fitted the new engine I have no idea if the auto box was perfect or not.

Here's the issue..

Smell in the cabin , like burnt clutch when driving....

It drives perfectly in manu mode. So I get full boost and warp speed in L, 2 then D will maintain acceleration but I ran out of road due to speed limit and keeping within etc..

When I planted my foot to the floor in D (manu off) the car will set off in first and it seems hit and miss if it will use an appropriate gear and build boost. If I select manual and then 2 it takes off.

I tried it from a stop in D and it seemed to change gear correctly and accelerate as it should, but then if I'm cruising in D and plant my right foot, it barely goes past 2000 rpm and doesn't kickdown.

Any ideas ? I've searched and someone had an issue with speed limiter

Removal wire to ecu so I will check that. Just wondering if the box is goosed? Or is it electrical? Is it possible for manu mode to work perfectly but not D mode with manu switched off? (just been reading up on this. It appears it is possible as they are seperate parts of the box?)

Thanks!

Edited by and1c
sorry posted this on mobile (see edit history)

Thanks David. Yes, I wasn't sure if I was imagining the smell after a bit, will recheck today. It was very faint!

History is - I bought the car with a bust engine, Chris Wilson had previously fitted a new auto tranny and TC for owner 6 months prior as he had nuked them due to hp.(engine issue was due to the owner not putting anti freeze in and block cracked).

So I fitted a new engine and have been ironing any issues on the car out since. I only got it MOTd the other day so have discovered this on longer drives than was previously possible. Car is single turbo, fresh engine, standalone Link G3 LEM ECU with dyno dynamics chart for 500rwhp.

Apart from the box issue its excellent though and drives beautifully in Manual mode!! thanks

edit to add/ It has a transmission cooler, but I plan to replace it and add two bigger ones

Edited by and1c (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I collate resolved automatic transmission fault threads here in the Transmission Group. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=184&do=discuss

So to conclude this one........

I believe that after lots of loom checking and no. 2 solenoid swapping, this problem turned out be an ECU fault.

Andy, Could you please confirm or enlighten?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the epic delay. Still ongoing. Been away on holiday and have now pulled the engine to swap the transmission for my Titan one and a few other jobs engine related that are easier with it out. Will update asap on this. Last findings on this were that after replacing the ECU the autobox was working fine but I could not select or engage manual mode. The TC light was also flashing error codes... I don't expect the new box to fix it, but will see