The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch diagnosis required

lust2luv

Hi, long time no post. I still own my (usually) trusty NA, which I've had for 15 years now. Wow, didn't realise it was that long until I worked it out. :blink:

Anyway, here's my problem, my clutch pedal intermittently sticks down. It initially occurred after 3 hours queuing in traffic for an airshow, and seems to only occur in 1st and 2nd gear, usually when I change down to 1st. When it happens, I can carry on driving in that gear, but the gear lever won't disengage, so there's no option when stopping other than to stall, as the clutch has no travel or bite at all. Happens when the engine is both hot or cold. I initially thought it was either the master or slave clutch cylinder.

Took it into Mr T to look over and they couldn't replicate the problem, couldn't see any leaks (other than a long-running slight leak at the front of the gearbox), so they recommended changing the brake/clutch fluid, which they said came out dirty. Wallet £144 lighter, the clutch pedal has no real resistance (felt normal before) and problem returns the second time I drive it (cold engine, so it's not heat related).

I do have a very noisy fluttering clutch bearing. So is it that which finally needs replacing? Or should I be looking at swapping out one of the clutch cylinders? Don't want to do one and find it's the other!

Any guidance very gratefully received! :)

Morning Chris, was hoping you'd respond. So you don't think it's the really noisy clutch release bearing? Would the master cylinder explain not being able to shift out of gear when it happens? As I don't have any local garages I really trust, would it be safer/not much more expensive to just replace the master cylinder?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really value your advice (as I'm sure everyone on here does!)

Thanks Chris. Not sure I trust my local Toyota garage to do it (captured some interesting audio/video on my dashcam when they were test driving it!).

If I order the cylinders does anyone know if they come complete, or would I need to order seals separately? Same parts for NA and TT?