The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Controller install (again)

AxelB.

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I'm coming with a frequently asked question. How to install a Boost Controller, which hoses need to go where, and which wires do I need to join where ?

All my searches lead to the same point, a MKIV.com tutorial for a Blitz Boost Controller. As MKIV.com seems to have some trouble for days now, it might be good to reupload/rewrite it here...

This will help me a lot, and stand as a backup for that precious tuto no more available..

If someone have it or can make one, it would be very nice !

Many thanks in advance !

EDIT : Here it is, thanks a lot to Samurai 20V !

This was an email I sent to Josh on how to install the EVC S... I hope it helps..

Basically start with the solenoid, find a good place to mount it..Take into account the length of the wire that goes into the cabin and try to keep the vacuum hoses to the solenoid short, it needs to be close to the first turbo.

We basically are going to bypass the first turbo VSV and let the boost controller control the actuator…Here is where I put mine.. (Just above the intercooler pipe)

So, you need to disconnect all the hoses on the first VSV and actuator for the first turbo, like the pic. (It is located just in front of the first turbo, behind the air intake. Maybe easier to remove the intake for space to work). You need to get the red silicone caps to block these off, or you could use a piece of hose, clamp and a bolt.Note the remaining hose from the actuator to the turbo also needs to be removed, these ports we will use in the next step.Also note the vacuum pipe on the top which connects to the left most port on the VSV, block this off as well.. (2nd Pic).

Leave the w/h connector on the VSV, no need to remove it.

Then you can hook up the solenoid to the turbo and actuator. We will use the open ports from the turbo and actuator mentioned above. Refer to the pic, “13” goes to the inlet on the solenoid. (Not easy to get too, you can see close to the engine side). Note there is a 6mm filter (weird double cone thing) that goes on this line. Next, Outlet from the solenoid goes to “1” on the actuator. “2” is blocked off already from the previous step.

Now you done on the turbo side..Move to the boost sensor, this is basically a boost reference for the EVC. It needs to come from the inlet manifold, after the throttle. So refer to the pic below, just unplug the 4mm pipe from the thing labeled “Manifold pressure reference outlet (with check valve)”, cut a short piece to connect to the outlet, fit your T piece, and then run your 4mm pipe to the boost sensor. In fact the pic shows exactly how you need to T-piece it. The open end in the pic goes to the boost sensor. The filter (weird double cone thing) fits on the line going to the boost sensor, it filters any oil etc, protecting your sensor.You have to decide to were to mount the boost sensor based on the length of the wire to the control unit. So plan everything out before cutting and mounting everything.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13939&d=1112558977

Its not so hard, just take your time and go through things step by step..Once everything is in, remember to adjust the offset, then enjoy the full BPU!!

Edited by AxelB. (see edit history)

Which boost controller are you installing?

I've been searching for a good install diagram for the HKS EVC V and I've found the manuals on the HKS site, but they don't show me which pipes to hook it up to.

I'd also like to see where people generally mount their EVC in the cockpit also......any pics would be appreciated....

I'd like to install the Greddy Profec B Spec 2.

But apparently, the Blitz tuto was similar and could help you installing that one too..

Regarding the controller location in the cabin, you can find people who put it just behind the steering wheel (on the top of the wheel support, in front of the tacho), or somewhere underneath the wheel (stuck near your legs or something)..

My plan would be to put it in a 1DIN slot that I would be able to "close" in case of need, underneath my 1DIN autoradio =D

Or somewhere in a glovebox, to keep a maximum stock look in cabin.

I'd like to install the Greddy Profec B Spec 2.

But apparently, the Blitz tuto was similar and could help you installing that one too..

Regarding the controller location in the cabin, you can find people who put it just behind the steering wheel (on the top of the wheel support, in front of the tacho), or somewhere underneath the wheel (stuck near your legs or something)..

My plan would be to put it in a 1DIN slot that I would be able to "close" in case of need, underneath my 1DIN autoradio =D

Or somewhere in a glovebox, to keep a maximum stock look in cabin.

^^^^thats the solenoid. The actuator/s are on the turbos themselves, although I'm pretty sure its the two hoses directly adjacent to the alternator, where you make your connections.

I want to also get mine plumbed in, so will be studying the article on mkiv.com myself :)

This was an email I sent to Josh on how to install the EVC S... I hope it helps..

Basically start with the solenoid, find a good place to mount it..Take into account the length of the wire that goes into the cabin and try to keep the vacuum hoses to the solenoid short, it needs to be close to the first turbo.

We basically are going to bypass the first turbo VSV and let the boost controller control the actuator…Here is where I put mine.. (Just above the intercooler pipe)

So, you need to disconnect all the hoses on the first VSV and actuator for the first turbo, like the pic. (It is located just in front of the first turbo, behind the air intake. Maybe easier to remove the intake for space to work). You need to get the red silicone caps to block these off, or you could use a piece of hose, clamp and a bolt.Note the remaining hose from the actuator to the turbo also needs to be removed, these ports we will use in the next step.Also note the vacuum pipe on the top which connects to the left most port on the VSV, block this off as well.. (2nd Pic).

Leave the w/h connector on the VSV, no need to remove it.

Then you can hook up the solenoid to the turbo and actuator. We will use the open ports from the turbo and actuator mentioned above. Refer to the pic, “13” goes to the inlet on the solenoid. (Not easy to get too, you can see close to the engine side). Note there is a 6mm filter (weird double cone thing) that goes on this line. Next, Outlet from the solenoid goes to “1” on the actuator. “2” is blocked off already from the previous step.

Now you done on the turbo side..Move to the boost sensor, this is basically a boost reference for the EVC. It needs to come from the inlet manifold, after the throttle. So refer to the pic below, just unplug the 4mm pipe from the thing labeled “Manifold pressure reference outlet (with check valve)”, cut a short piece to connect to the outlet, fit your T piece, and then run your 4mm pipe to the boost sensor. In fact the pic shows exactly how you need to T-piece it. The open end in the pic goes to the boost sensor. The filter (weird double cone thing) fits on the line going to the boost sensor, it filters any oil etc, protecting your sensor.You have to decide to were to mount the boost sensor based on the length of the wire to the control unit. So plan everything out before cutting and mounting everything.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13939&d=1112558977

Its not so hard, just take your time and go through things step by step..Once everything is in, remember to adjust the offset, then enjoy the full BPU!!

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)

2 additional small questions I need to ask :

I'd like to wait a bit before going full BPU, but I'd like to monitor my boost. I know Greddy Profec BSpec 2 can act as a boost gauge, and I don't want some additional gauges in my cabin (moreover I hate buying twice).. is that OK if I buy the BC, install it as it should be once my car will be BPU, but set everything as it would be without the BC (so, stock behaviour), just to get it reading the boost pressure ?

I guess I'll be able to set it to do so (didn't give a deep look into all the settings yet) but I prefer to be sure before I buy.

Also, uh, stupid question. What happens if everything is installed, and I remove only the main unit ?.. I guess I'll have at least to cap the hose that reads from the intake and the one that goes to the solenoid.. what happens if I don't do it (boost leak ? nuclear explosion) ? =D

Thanks in advance for your answers !