The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which diff oil - TRD

Homer

Been researching this as I have a TRD diff to fit..

I believe any 75W-140 LSD oil will suffice, Lee P recommended Millers...

Shell and Castrol make similar in my country, I was going to try the Shell Spirax..

TRD do have a special oil, but it would cost alot to ship from Japan..

Thanks guys, I was about to buy GL3 75/90 as that's what a number of people have recommended. To help my understanding, why would 75/140 be needed for this diff type over 75/90? I understand the GL5 rating of the 75/140 is for heavy duty use, but this is going in an NA 5spd :)

I'll go purchase the 75/140 anyway :)

Thanks mate, just placed an order for some of the stuff The Turtleshead mentioned.

2nd question though, I'm trying to find the correct sealant for the carrier cover. Toyota wanted £69 for their one!! Is there an off the shelf alternative?

Thanks guys, I was about to buy GL3 75/90 as that's what a number of people have recommended. To help my understanding, why would 75/140 be needed for this diff type over 75/90? I understand the GL5 rating of the 75/140 is for heavy duty use, but this is going in an NA 5spd :)

I'll go purchase the 75/140 anyway :)

As I understand it the viscosity changes with heat… It will only ever hit 140 or close if you're really abusing it! Otherwise it acts like a thinner oil.

Mine has been buttery smooth on that stuff, I wouldn't use anything else now tbh, it seems to work really well.

I've been doing some reading up on oil values the other day.

The 140 stuff will stay thicker when warm compared to 95. The 85W is the value for when its cold. But I think you have to see them seperately(so its not thinner when cold because 85W is lower than 140. It's two different ranges)

The higher the value the thicker it gets.

W-value : when cold

Second value: at operating temperature.