The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil level, cat temp, battery and rear light warniing lamps on!?

cloudder

Guys,

Got the car out for a run in the sun today. Ran fine. Switched off. Switched on again and the oil leval light came on. Switched off and chacked level, all OK. Started the car again, this time Oil level, cat temp, battery and rear light warniing lamps on and central warning triangle on!? What the heck! Anyone any ideas where to start looking?

Cloudder

Sounds Like the Alternator to me as well, as have seen/ had these symptoms before, which was caused by/ turned out to be the rectifier diodes in the Alternator which had burnt out, I was seeing between 11v - 12v approx with the Engine running, and the same/ similar warning lights symptoms as you describe.

The Rectifier unit, Brushes and Voltage Regulator parts were £200 altogether approx from Toyota and that the Alternator itself is only availible in bits, not a complete unit anymore.

Check the Battery (no electrical load/ ignition off) standard Voltage, as per the Toyota repair manual, should be 12.5V - 12.9V.

To Check the Alternator is charging, using a good Electrical Multimeter, set to Volts DC and put the meter probes on the + & - Battery terminals. With the Engine running, as per the Toyota repair manual, between Idle and 2000 rpm no Elecrical load (i.e lights/ radio/ wipers) should be 13.2V - 14.8V, if not as specified or less than, check the following:

12V Battery Terminal and Ground/ Earth on the Alternator and The 12V Battery terminals for corrosion/ poor contact or condition.

Check the 120A ALT Fuse and 7.5A ALT S Fuse in the Engine bay.

If they are both ok, then the fault will most likely be with the Alternator unit.

The Reason that the lights you see coming on when the alternator fails is that they are connected on similar/ same circuits within the combination meter and tell tale indicators either side of the combination meter.

Edited by GreaseMonkey (see edit history)

Guys,

Thanks for the great advice! I will attempt to check these out in the next few days (car at paremts house). My uncle took a quick look under the bonnet and noticed the tell-tale on the battery was clear. When I connected the battery on saturday (I usually leave the -ve off) it was green. This may also give an indication of the alternator not charging?

I'll keep you good folk posted

Hi, I managed to get 1/2 an hur with the Supra today. First I checked the voltage of the battery it was 12.2 volts. The battery condition indicator still showed clear. Ithen fired it up and let it warm up for about 15 minutes, then with all possible items switched off that could put a drain on the charging system, I put the idle to 2500rpm and measured 11.7volts at the battery... does this conclyde a deffinate alternator issue or are there other simple checks I can do using a standard multimeter? I dont have the toyota manual so am stuck. Any comments?