The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension rattle, boot rubbers, 2nd turbo lag, weird "ooo" noise; any ideas?!

IceMan

Okay some quick fire questions then a couple of pics!

Car spec first: Jap import, 1993, totally stock except for Bilstein shocks (optional Toyota), derestricted (though restrictor's come back on!), refurbished turbos, 50,000+ miles on the clock, HKS turbo timer.

1. My suspension rattles, especially the rear-right. It's not the boot rubbers! The rattle sounds like something lose and knocking and is faster in frequency than the suspension movement (i.e. on fairly smooth roads still get a lot of knocking; not relative to bumpiness of road). Toyota looked at the suspension and say the top mounts etc are fine so it must be something "inside the suspension". Would this include shocks? I'm not 100% suspension literate! Does this sound costly? Other corners are rattling a bit too but I do live down a pot-hole ridden track with lots of bumpy roads nearby too...

2. Boot rubbers are shot too, where can I purchase these? I asked Toyota months ago and got nothing!

3. Since I had the turbos refurbished the second turbo is now really late. You can hear the first (whistle) turbo drop off (with a bit of power loss) before the kick of the second (head hits headrest!). Is this normal? Can it be improved without replacing air filters/cats/etc?

4. The last thing's the hardest to diagnose. Around 3000rpm in most gears when gently accelerating (up a hill) the car can sometimes "sing" an "oooo" noise from the left of the engine bay. It cuts out above a certain rev range and is hard to reproduce... except when you don't want it (i.e. accelerate away from a traffic lights and the car goes "oooOO" which sounds silly!). Any ideas or pointers on which pipes to check (if it could be a split)? Photos preferred as I'm not au fait with the entire engine layout!

Thanks for reading! Replies gratefully received on any area!

Ice

Dunno about the first 2, but 3 happens on mine as well, did it really badly this morning and scared me quite a bit - 3rd gear, pretty constant 3000 ish revs, put my foot down and there was almost a loss of power before a huge bump of the second turbo coming on - almost no pre-spooling at all!!!!

I had a similar thing to 4 too, lots of people went in the car hanging out the window etc trying to hear it - replaced pipes and all sorts!! Turns out it could be my exhaust rubber squeaking at certain frequencies!! Put some oil stuff on and it's almost gone but still comes back sometimes!

Do you have a boost gauge?

1. could be a knackered shock, but it could also be loose subframe bolts, which is quite common on the front at least. If you search for a thread called "I don't rattle any more" or something like that you'll find some info. Worth checking anyway.

As for 4, I would check the big pipes that go to and from the intercooler, along the front and up and into the throttle body. I had one loose a while ago that made a spooky wooooo noise.

You can get the boot rubbers from Toyota

Part Numbers

Lower Rubbers - 6728114050

Upper Rubbers - 6729314051

Just tell them the part number. It comes up on their computer as some door rubber or something but it is the correct part.

Usually takes them about 2-3 days to get them.

Cost me £28.50 ish for both sets just 3 weeks ago.

One last thing.........

.....WASH THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flame Dev

Originally posted by smarty

Just tell them the part number. It comes up on their computer as some door rubber or something but it is the correct part.

I told them once, and even kept checking back... nothing! They're a bit lazy see. On my service they said the brake fluid probably needs changing but didn't change it and said the air con needed doing when I had it done a few months ago :-P

Ice

I had this when the engine was cold at about 2600RPM, I think it's called moosing (someone on here told me).

On the manifold you will need to try and tighten all the stabilising bolts as they may look tight but might not be.

Good luck