The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A auto to 5 speed W58

Supra Gaz

I have bought a conversion kit from Keron to convert my auto na to a 5 speed manual. Does anyone know what is required? Is there any cutting and welding of the transmission tunnel? Has anyone done it before? I did use the old search button but nothing exact came up

Cheers

I have bought a conversion kit from Keron to convert my auto na to a 5 speed manual. Does anyone know what is required? Is there any cutting and welding of the transmission tunnel? Has anyone done it before? I did use the old search button but nothing exact came up

Cheers

I'm not 100% but I would assume its much the same as the 6 speed conversion, in the that you have to cut out the transmission tunnel and weld in a manual tunnel.

It's not as bad as it sounds. You don't actually cut the tunnel itself, there's a secondary plate that needs to be removed and replaced with the manual one. It's spot welded and bonded into place underneath the trans tunnel, the spot welds need to be drilled out and the bonding chiselled away. The new plate can be bolted & bonded into place (or spot welded if you have one). There's some pics of the conversion here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?139393-My-new-Supra-rebuilding-Dude-s-drag-car&p=2011470&viewfull=1#post2011470

Edit - if the link doesn't work, do to post 333 in the thread

If you have any questions, just ask :)

Auto to 5spd conversion on an NA is far simpler than other manual conversions since the diff doesn't have to be messed about with - it's pretty much plug and play apart from the tunnel mod. I doubt the costs will be too high as it's a relatively simple job. It's about a days work. I did the tunnel mod, clocks change, pedal swap, clutch master and slave install in about 4 hours, so add 3 hours to change the box, then an hour to test everything out you won't be too far off.

I have been talking to john about it at AFR, he is saying I need the bit that is rivetted on? I'm not sure what he means by that. Do you have an idea? Its looking pretty pricey at the moment, around 600 quid labour. John and the guys are some of the best but is that amount right?