The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need an engine

BazzaAlpine

Garage have just told me that the number 6 piston has too much play in it and clunks when he pushed it down. So it's either a rebuild or a 2nd hand engine. I don't want to get one of ebay unless I have to as I really don't trust anyone not on the forum now. Had so many issues with my supra since I got it in April.

The current one is a 93 jspec tt auto. So far as I know I just need the main engine and not the turbos and other bits (though knowing the luck I'm having at the mo they are prob just waiting to pack in.

Any suggestions, offers, help etc then please let me know ASAP as I need to let the garage know what I'm going to do.

Mobile: 07876524670

The compression ratio would be wrong for an n/a. I got my engine of ebay. Came with 6 months warranty and 60k on the clock with full service history. Spoke to the guy before hand and was very helpful. Paid 1800 for all parts and its a uk engine.

What's your current mileage?

Personally, before you go buying another engine, I'd find out how much to rebuild it - at least you benefit from an engine you know!

You might find that rebuilding with reground valves, new rings, bearings etc. is better than replacement with an unknown engine (or at least taking someone's word about it's history - how many advertise as 'never raced' or 'low miles'?!)

Mileage when I bought it in April was meant to be just over 50K the mileometer now says 122k KM There is no way the stupid engine should have given up like that. Yes it's an old engine (93) but I didn't hammer it and when the snow came was the first time I even had it in Manual mode. I can't afford to tell the garage to strip it down and see what needs doing on it then find they have to change half the bits cos of the state it's in. Will the N/A definately not be suitable? Seems odd they everyone gets an N/A to turn it into a T but it isn't suitable for a TT :(

I really don't want to come across as a cheep git but I've already had to spend way more than I was counting on to get stupid things fixed with her. Anything else will have to go on my credit card and with the amounts we seem to be looking at here that's a path I'm really not looking forward to as it will make things a struggle for me for years.

I'll do it if I have to but I'm hoping I can get some help from the club :(

I don't know if you'd be interested in this but there is another option open to you.

A 1JZ TT engine with an auto ECU, which is a fraction of the price of a 2JZ TT will fit straight into your engine bay with little in the line of modifictions to get it running. They are a very good engine and comparable to the 2JZ in stock trim in terms of power and driveability. It's only if you go hunting big power figures will you be hindered by the lack of aftermarket support for the 1JZ. On the plus side they are a sweeter engine with a smoother power delivery (the turbos work in parallel rather than sequentially) and a higher redline than a stock 2JZ.

I myself am fitting a 1JZ to my SZ-R in a bid to get more competitive on track. The entire engine, including turbos, ancillaries & ECU cost me £600. There is a bit of re-wiring to do in my case as the base car is a non turbo, to be realistic there may also be a small amount to do with a TT.

Little num as far as I know has a complete conversion for sale and he'll also supply any info you need to complete the swap. Even if you just wanted to find out a bit more about it before you made a decision he is probably a good bet to talk to.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the weather it's all a ballsup. An engine was ordered ages ago but has not been delivered yet thanks to the bloody weather. The garage didn't really do anything more with the existing engine as it was a waste of time and would have just cost me more. They did say that the oil was like treacle though. Car was meant to have a complete service and MOT before I picked it up but the issues I've had with it (not just engine but brakes as well) I'd say it was a con. On the plus side if the courier can't get it to me before xmas I'll get my delivery charges refunded.

Oh dear!

Nothing does more damage than treacle in the engine. Must have worn out the oil pump and bearings. Get some Mobil 1 in there next time. Costs more but lasts for ages. Mine needs a flush and change but as you say, the weather isn't ideal right now. Sod laying underneath when it could start sliding off down the road!

Good luck with it and keep us informed.

Might want to name and shame the seller while you're at it, incase anyone else deals with them.

It's typical really. I'd just topped up the oil the day before (about 1/2 a litre certainly not a lot) with some of the expensive 10-40 fully synth (same stuff I'd been using since I got the Supra) and thought then that the fresh stuff going in was a bit thick. I just figured it was the cold and thought nothing of it. Me and a mate decided to do a full oil change on it though as it was close to being due one. Never got the chance though :( From now on I'm going to keep the oil in the house instead of the shed though.

It's typical really. I'd just topped up the oil the day before (about 1/2 a litre certainly not a lot) with some of the expensive 10-40 fully synth (same stuff I'd been using since I got the Supra) and thought then that the fresh stuff going in was a bit thick. I just figured it was the cold and thought nothing of it. Me and a mate decided to do a full oil change on it though as it was close to being due one. Never got the chance though :( From now on I'm going to keep the oil in the house instead of the shed though.

Yep, mine has stalled a couple of times on startup already, presumably from the cold, old oil. Trouble is, it sounds really dry and metallic for a few seconds until the pressure gets up. Can't be doing any good.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay this is open again. It's been a while since those of you offered me engines so I'm just going to ask if anyone has a Supra TT engine, either complete or just the main block (whatever the term is for the engine minus all the bits that bolt on). Pref low mileage, some sort of warranty, will knock some off for the old one and can get it to the garage earlier than a week and a bit.

I had wanted to take the faster option (yeah that worked well :( ) also my usual garage are not set up for doing all the work to rebuild the engine, they would have had to send it off to get it skimmed and stuff. They actually recommended not doing a rebuild and I trust their judgement.

The reason I went through the club first was because the chances are hopefully lower of anything going wrong plus I wouldn't get ripped off in price.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.