The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pulley \ Loss Of Power Steering

Abz

Evening All,

I have been reading on the forum about this & wanted to get some up to date views on this. From what I gather it is a common problem and the pulley which has came off needs to be replaced?

Background

Was driving the car home last night & then accelerated hard up to say about 30-40mph, heard a clunk & then loss power steering & all I could hear was a loud hissing noise! I first though I had suffered a blowout of some kind due to the steering & hissing noise. Managed to limp it home as I was just around the corner (2 miles).

Current Situation

Due to it being dark I left it till inspection this morning, noticed one of the pulley's was sitting on the under tray beneath the engine. I called AA as I thought it might be best to get a 2nd opinion & then get it towed to a garage. They confirmed the pulley needs to be replaced as I thought with another one & advised the belts looked fine so only the pulley should be changed. Advised I won't be able to many get the part readily avalible & that due to it being a Satruday & midday hard to get it fixed over the weekend.

What to do?

I managed to find a part number on the pulley (13407-46020), do I just need to replace this part or is their anything else which needs to be replaced or do I need to replace any other pulley while this is being changed?

Can I have recommendation's from the best place to get this part from? Or does anyone have one? It is not good timing with my wedding only 6 weeks away :(

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6580/locationh.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2798/pphoto.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Mr T dude, you could change the FMS while you are there and I would change the aux belt too.

Thanks dude, though on reading up I found that people were saying not to change the Front Main Seal unless it was leaking? Is this true? Budget is a bit tight at the moment with the wedding in 6 weeks so I am trying to avoid huge expenses if I can help it or other wise I would.

Is it worth doing a cam belt change while you're at it?

Hey Dan, I had the cambelt changed 5,000 miles ago while it was at Whiftblitz, this won't be effected will it?

Thanks dude, though on reading up I found that people were saying not to change the Front Main Seal unless it was leaking? Is this true? Budget is a bit tight at the moment with the wedding in 6 weeks so I am trying to avoid huge expenses if I can help it or other wise I would.

Hey Dan, I had the cambelt changed 5,000 miles ago while it was at Whiftblitz, this won't be effected will it?

Cam belt wont be effected and im sure Paul would have let you know if there was any sign of a leak, so I would just chuck a new damper on.

Cam belt wont be effected and im sure Paul would have let you know if there was any sign of a leak, so I would just chuck a new damper on.

I was only suggesting it in case it hadn't been done in a while. The pully has to come off to replace it you see, so I thought it might be worth it. If the belt is nearly new anyway, it's not worth putting a new one on.

Thanks guys, guess I'll just get the replacement pulley then.

Dude - You mention about the Auxiliary Belt, is it worth changing that too (not even sure how often these get changed).

For the sake of £30 id say its worth changing the aux belt too, although if the old one is in good enough condition then maybe just re-use it. It's really simple to change the belt so it's not a great loss of time if you dont change it while its off.

If you havent already ordered a pulley, I would recommend Whifbitz, I replaced mine a month or so ago and it arrived super fast from Paul.

For the sake of £30 id say its worth changing the aux belt too, although if the old one is in good enough condition then maybe just re-use it. It's really simple to change the belt so it's not a great loss of time if you dont change it while its off.

If you havent already ordered a pulley, I would recommend Whifbitz, I replaced mine a month or so ago and it arrived super fast from Paul.

I'll inspect my belt, think you are right though might be worth changing it.

Did you change anything else while you replaced your pulley & was it a pain in the backside to do?

I'll inspect my belt, think you are right though might be worth changing it.

Did you change anything else while you replaced your pulley & was it a pain in the backside to do?

Not too much of a pain, you really do need some form of locking tool when you torque the bolt back up though, I also replaced the bolt just to be on the safe side. Apart from that it was just a case of stripping out all the bits that get in the way of the job (radiator, fan, intercooler hoses, undertray etc) i'm sure you could get away with removing less than I did, but it made access so much easier.

Very common item to go. You got lucky mate. Its been known for things to go horribly wrong when that goes and components get dragged by the belt into the cambelt cover, snapping the cambelt on the run. FWIW anyone with a 15 year old supra should change that pulley on spec.

I hope I have got lucky! Looks like the belt remained on as the out side of the crank pulley just sheared off! I think you are right mate it should be a vital part that should be replace.

Not too much of a pain, you really do need some form of locking tool when you torque the bolt back up though, I also replaced the bolt just to be on the safe side. Apart from that it was just a case of stripping out all the bits that get in the way of the job (radiator, fan, intercooler hoses, undertray etc) i'm sure you could get away with removing less than I did, but it made access so much easier.

Thank you very much sir for that information, hopefully it will be useful to other members too. :)