The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few Oil change questions

Scooter

I changed the oil on the Supra today. No big thing for a fair few of you on here but my first change on any car!

I have a few of questions

1) The sump plug was b*stard tight is this how it should be?

2) The sump washer appeared in good nick and as it was stuck hard to the sump i left it as was and kept the new washer for next time, is this OK?

3) I had a few attempts to remove the filter but no go. Access on the NA is not a problem but brute strength or my 'halfauds special' oil filter remover (handle and a bit of cycle chain) are not working. Now as it was a bit of a stalemate i whacked in the new oil.

So whats the best oil filter removal tool? i'm thinking a short time with the old filter is not an issue, and i assume that the best time to change the filter now would be when the engines cold

4) Finally how much spillage can be expected when changing the filter?

Thanks in advance

Scott

.....but my first change on any car!

BY you I presume ? ! ? ! not LITERALLY ? ? ?:sly:

1) NO ! ! absolutely NOT ! !

that's how the thread gets stripped ! ! = lot's of luvely work for

my place:D MUCH less than a wheel nut ! ! !

(just sort-of 'nipped' up with a socket ?! - hard to explain !)

2) -

3) TOO tightly done by previous ! (I've undone by hand all times

- try cleaning it 'grease-free' and using a 'rubber' glove ? - the

filter wrench's need a good 'turn' before they start gripping and

there's not a lot of room around the filter ! a HAND-job is

sometimes easier ? !:p oooh errrrr)

4) I've always done it from below, after the oils drained quite well.

just a small 'pour' (~1/4 litre ?) then take it out while holding

upright (bit tricky) saves ~1/2 litre from spilling ! !

Believe it or not... I've changed the Oil/Filter about 6 times in

~5,000 miles ! ! ! - but, when they looked at my bearings/rods/crank

during the 'First-Aid', they looked AS NEW, and that's how they're

BLOODY STAYING ! ! !

yeah Steve i meant me on my own!

It appears the last service technician let loose on my car may have been built like a masonary toilet. I had a metre long pole for extra leverage over the ratchet to loosen the sump plug! and i'm not weak but the filter just will not budge with both hands on it.

Think i may slacken off the sump plug a little, although its not tighter than before, and just put the new filter on tight with my hand.

Thanks for clarifing things, just gonna have another go at getting the filter off, wish me luck!

Obviously it helps if you've got BIG HANDS ! !:p

and, YES I only do my filter up by HAND, ~firm twist on, NOT with the

'wrench' as it sometimes advises.... NOT NECESSARY AT ALL ! !

It IS hard to describe how tight I do the Sump-Plug..... ? ?

just till it 'bites' and a little turn on top ? ~1/16 - 1/8 turn ?

certainly not much more ? (as Syed says - everything should

be torqued really - that stops any chance of stripping/overtightening

- or even UNDERtightening ! !.....but, I can't be arsed with it on the

Sump Plug...... not necessary after the first few goes....... HE SAYS?:music: )

ps. if you DIDN'T live down in the "STICKS", I'd pop round and

"He-Man" it undone for ya' ! ! !

im due one on my supra. got my filter just need to find somewhere to buy some valvolene oil off the shelf. i did my first oil change on my astra. went with out a hitch.was not sure about which way to turn sump plug got there in end.

dad showed me a couple of tips

put engine flush in left for a bit. took sump plug out put tin under to collect oil. did not have an oil filter removal tool. used a belt to remove filter came off a treat.

the new filter was told to smear oil on threads and contact area then screw in and do it hand tight plus one turn.

dont mind trying small jobs. know my limits. its good to know you can do a job yourself even if it takes 3 times as long

well done

Cheers for the responses guys, i've just had the mother of all battles with the filter and it won.

The chain tool i've got just dents / scrapes the outside of the filter which is looking a little worse for wear now, but I daren't go mad as i don't want to damage it too much.

I really can't see me getting it off without some way of getting more leverage on it. Tis dark now so in the morning i'll try nearer the base as Steve suggests but i think i may have to call on a mechanic friend to sort me out this once........Arse

Originally posted by Scooter

The chain tool i've got just dents / scrapes the outside of the filter which is looking a little worse for wear now, but I daren't go mad as i don't want to damage it too much.

It took me a while with the chain tool and the filter was mangled when I got it off. I had visions of it ripping the filter in half :eek: :eek:

Get it as dry as possible, grip it firmly near the base :music: and because of the limited space (only about 1/4 turn ISTR) you need to get it as tight before you start turning.

Are you going in from the top or from underneath?

from the top.

The room on my current non turbo is vast compared to my old TT where i just looked at it and said to myself 'leave well alone'.

I'm not sure if we've got the same chain tools. I can't really tighten onto the filter prior to turning, it sort of tightens to it when you go to remove it, if that makes sense...........

I use a crappy Halfrauds wrench, chain type, cause it was short enough to get in the limited space.

As mention earlier, mine only budged when I placed it at the bottom of the filter, tried for ages on the 'hex' top end but seemed to be more solid and more torque at the lower end.

Paul

seen a thing on hear posted by someone about how to do oil change, they reccomended you undo the power steering bolts to get to filter from top.

does anyone know of a valvoline supplier where you can go and pick it up, need to do my oil for peace of mind.

whats a good oil to use if i cant get valvolene

dont know if the document was posted by steve w. i remember saving on comp but finding its another story

thanks Syed Shah

i was wanting to go somwhere like halfords or larkspeed and buy over counter to do on my days off.

someone told me ford use that oil for there cars. is there anything else just as good as valvoline. dont mind buying in bulk to save a few quid. its always last min with me.

might be worth stocking up on fluids

brake fluid

engine oil

got my toyota automatic transmission fluid £120 for 16l

I tried the Halfrauds chain and it was a no go. By the time i had finished my arms were shredded trying to get it the small area and the filter was a different shape. I didnt want to do it but had no choice as the oil was already drained, i did the god awful screwdriver trick. Managed to get it off and once i had cleaned up i put the new filter on hand tight although i used one of those rubber jam jar openers (Lakeland) which i can fully recommend. JUst make sure though there is no oil on the outside of the new filter.