The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension probs Ruining Supra experience

jot_ie

Indeed I did get it sorted.

Some of the newer supras, from 97 on i think, had the yamaha REAS suspension system fitted. Basically its the two front oil-filled shocks linked together with a central oil reservoir supplying the two. Its similar for the rear.

Apparently there is an adjuster which controls the flow of oil between the two that sets the stiffness of the suspension. On mine they were set to fully hard. Just had it adjusted to about halfway.

Some new bridgestones and a good "manual" 4 wheel alignment using the stock setup did the trick. Its as solid as a rock now. I am really pleased with it.

Just a bit of additional info. Guys who really know about suspension geometry may be able to add a bit more to this

My front tyres were wearing very badly on their inside edges, indicating too much camber

I personally think a lot of these suspension problems come from bigger than stock tyres and rims, combined with aftermarket shocks and springs which give rise to a huge percentage of these problems.

Particularly if these non standard additions are not compensated for in a good alignment carried out by someone who really understands suspension setups.

I also think it is crucial to change the tyres befor an alignment as the uneven wear will mean that even when the car is properly aligned it will still feel wrong.

What I found with mine was that less camber suited better. I tried the "lance alignment" from mkiv.com and it didnt suit at all. Stock or slightly less suited much better.

Also the mechanic I brought it to sets up and races his own cars, he has a real passion for cars. You need someone like that to do it. A lot of the laser alignments are just some guys twiddling bolts until a computer tells them to stop. Fine if you have a stock setup, if you have aftermarket wheels /suspension bits only someone that knows what they are doing can attempt to compensate.

thats my two cents worth from my experiences

Regards

John

Just a bit of additional info. Guys who really know about suspension geometry may be able to add a bit more to this

My front tyres were wearing very badly on their inside edges, indicating too much camber

I personally think a lot of these suspension problems come from bigger than stock tyres and rims, combined with aftermarket shocks and springs which give rise to a huge percentage of these problems.

Particularly if these non standard additions are not compensated for in a good alignment carried out by someone who really understands suspension setups.

I also think it is crucial to change the tyres befor an alignment as the uneven wear will mean that even when the car is properly aligned it will still feel wrong.

What I found with mine was that less camber suited better. I tried the "lance alignment" from mkiv.com and it didnt suit at all. Stock or slightly less suited much better.

Also the mechanic I brought it to sets up and races his own cars, he has a real passion for cars. You need someone like that to do it. A lot of the laser alignments are just some guys twiddling bolts until a computer tells them to stop. Fine if you have a stock setup, if you have aftermarket wheels /suspension bits only someone that knows what they are doing can attempt to compensate.

thats my two cents worth from my experiences

Regards

John

I agree completely. I had a similar experience. Personally I;d rather have a well setup geometry rather than all the expensive add on's money could buy and bad geometry. Lance alignment sucks.