The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active Front Spoiler Wiring

Guest Garfy

Guest Garfy

Help,

I have just bought an Active front Spoiler, ECU and Switch from Kosmic (who is a top guy and very helpfull) but my TT doesn't have all the wiring, it has the connector in the front bumper but none of the wiring behind the dash, I've seen a wiring diagram for wiring it up with manual control of the switch, but there must be a way of wiring it up with the ECU surely its just a case of splicing into the correct wires.

Any help would be appreciated.

Garfy.

You need the harness behind the dash, my GZ has active spoiler and cruise control so it might be that SZ/RZ models have a different harness. See picture, its the top silver box (active spoiler ECU)

If you want to do this manually then its two relays or I believe there is one relay wich has a double throw if youu research this further, heres a diagram from Pete Betts I believe.

:search:

active_spoiler.jpg

spoiler6.gif

Guest Garfy

Ok I've looked at pete's wiring diagram for the automatic operation i.e. standard, and I think I can do it, I just need to know where the speed sensor No. 1, and the combination meter is, anyone know?

Also when a wiring diagram refurs to wire colour as say L-R or L-B what does the L stand for?

Thanks again.

Garfy

Ok I've looked at pete's wiring diagram for the automatic operation i.e. standard, and I think I can do it, I just need to know where the speed sensor No. 1, and the combination meter is, anyone know?

Also when a wiring diagram refurs to wire colour as say L-R or L-B what does the L stand for?

Thanks again.

Garfy

I think it means LIGHT as in light-red or light blue??

Guest Garfy
I think it means LIGHT as in light-red or light blue??

Hi mate, I thought that intill I noticed a wire labled as R-L which doesn't make sense, could still mean Light, but not sure, I suppose it is the only thing it can mean really.

Are you sure that you don't have a connector behind the dash. Mine was tucked away just in front of the drivers left knee (behind the console there) It was a bitch to untangle, but I don't see why you would have the front of the loom and not the back :think:

Edit: to clarify mines an RZ-S (as in my sig) without cruise control

Mike

Guest Garfy
Are you sure that you don't have a connector behind the dash. Mine was tucked away just in front of the drivers left knee (behind the console there) It was a bitch to untangle, but I don't see why you would have the front of the loom and not the back :think:

Mike

I know it's nuts that they would put the front loom in and not the ecu and switch loom, but Kosmic and I searched for it for over an hour, comparing my car to his and it is definatly not there, the part of the loom in which it should be is actually thinner on my car.

Guest Garfy

Mike

Good to know yours doesn't have cruise control because I was begining to think that the still illusive speed sensor and combination meter might be something to do with cruise control

For a J-Spec Supra

This goes to two destinations

1) Speedometer Blue/Red Wire

2) Odometer Blue/Red Wire

If you have a KM/hr to M/hr conversion fitted the Odometer re-broadcasts a m/ph signal using a pink wire to the ECU,Cruise,Autobox,AirCon,PPS and Active Spoiler.

All the above circuits were set up by Toyota to receive km/hr signals and not m/hr signals.

In my case I connected the Blue/Red wire going to the odometer to the pink wire leaving the odometer having cut the pink wire between the loom and the odometer connector block. This means they get the same signal as they had originally. (I`m explaining it in simple turns before someone corrects me)

Join into the Blue/Red wire and go directly to the Active Spoiler ECU on the terminal the pink wire would have gone to and the spoiler will deploy at 90km/hr rather than 90m/ph. I did this to mine recently.

No idea about the L on a wiring diagram though !

:p

Guest Garfy
For a J-Spec Supra

This goes to two destinations

1) Speedometer Blue/Red Wire

2) Odometer Blue/Red Wire

If you have a KM/hr to M/hr conversion fitted the Odometer re-broadcasts a m/ph signal using a pink wire to the ECU,Cruise,Autobox,AirCon,PPS and Active Spoiler.

All the above circuits were set up by Toyota to receive km/hr signals and not m/hr signals.

In my case I connected the Blue/Red wire going to the odometer to the pink wire leaving the odometer having cut the pink wire between the loom and the odometer connector block. This means they get the same signal as they had originally. (I`m explaining it in simple turns before someone corrects me)

Join into the Blue/Red wire and go directly to the Active Spoiler ECU on the terminal the pink wire would have gone to and the spoiler will deploy at 90km/hr rather than 90m/ph. I did this to mine recently.

No idea about the L on a wiring diagram though !

:p

Thanks Milocoon,

so I'm nearly there, there is one more wire on the diagram I'm not sure about though, and that is Y-R wire coming out of something called a combination meter and going to pin 4 on the spoiler ECU, do you know where I can find that?

Guest Garfy
I think Combination Meter is your Speedo/Tacho/Fuel and Temperature guage cluster. There are 3 multipin connectors going to this.

From memory Some of the ECU wires were quite thick as they take highish current to the motor I guess.

Aha, that would make sense, so I guess the symbol shown on the diagram below means a bulb, is there a bulb that lights up in the clocks when the spoiler operates. image

So I just hope that it is already conected to the speed sensor because I have no idea where that is.

Boomer is correct, I`m not sure how the green LED is lit, I remember reading somewhere that there is a switch on the Active Spoiler which senses when its down in the correct position and switches the motor off, it may be that this is how the LED is illuminated in the Active Spoiler switch in the car dash panel.

You`ve not chosen the easiest of projects, if the wiring loom is in the car it would be a breeze.:blink:

Guest Garfy

I actually think that the bulb in the combination meter is the warning traingle, because Kosmic said that when he disconected the spoiler the worning traingle lit up, so I think that the spoiler ECU gets its speed sygnal from the ODO, so I think I can do it now, I might start giving it ago tonight.

Guest Garfy

Bloody weather, started fitting the spoiler today, got the headlights and front bumper of, bolted on the spoiler and it starts pissing down so I got soaked putting the car back together again, but it is all in, I will try and get the wiring done next week.

Guest Garfy

Well that didn't work, all I got was a fiz pop from the ECU, F*ck C*nt W*nk!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like I will be doing it the manual way. nether mind, lives and learns don't ya.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Garfy

Yippee, got it working Last Saturday, well chuffed, looks great, makes no difference the the cars stability, but looks great, and goes up and down at the push of a button.:D

Thanks for all you help guys, I couldn't have done it without you.

Guest Garfy

Yippee, got it working Last Saturday, well chuffed, looks great, makes no difference the the cars stability, but looks great, and goes up and down at the push of a button.

Thanks for all you help guys, I couldn't have done it without you.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring this to the fore but i have the same problem.I have the Active spoiler but i'll be damned if i can find a plug for the button :(

When you did your custom wiring did you just tap in to the wiring loom on the active spoiler ecu or is it more invloved than that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry to bring this to the fore but i have the same problem.I have the Active spoiler but i'll be damned if i can find a plug for the button :(

When you did your custom wiring did you just tap in to the wiring loom on the active spoiler ecu or is it more invloved than that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

yeah, the same happened to me, makes no sense at all does it? what would Toyota have done if the buyer wanted an active spoiler? fitted a new loom? dunno, lol

Anyway, in answer to your question, no I didn't tap into the loom, I ran new wires to it, if I was you I wouldn't bother trying to get it to work with the ecu, It will just give you a headache, and as far as I understand it won't let you bring the spoiler down with the engine running anyway, one quick tip though, I found when wiring up the spoiler the manual way that the position wires were the oposite way around to what is show in that wiring diagram, (I think, was a while ago now).

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want, I'm happy to help where I can