The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil - You get what you pay for!

oilman

Guest Terry S

I have to say that since a long telephone conversation with Simon, probably a year ago, we have been using Silkolene Pro-S in the single cars, and it really is superb stuff.

Worse than a coma ;)

Do a search on user "oilman" and then tell me that you knew all that :)

Oh.................and there's more :)

Cheers

Simon

PS. 5712 posts, where have you been?

Well I didn't know all that about oils but it all makes sense. I do have a background in early mecahnical failure detection in helicopters, part of which was analysis of oil degradation and analysis of mettalic wear debris content of oils at certain hourly times. We used spectrometric oil analysis which I guess you guys use in testing various oils. I spent a bit of time in the lab watching the guys at work seeing the effects of time and hostile environment operations have on oil. I've been involved in deciding oil flush frequencies for maximum efficiency against cost per flying hour. Seeing actual particles worn away in mechanical systems under scanning electron microscopes is amazing. You can see how the debris was actually removed ie sheared off, overheated and cracked off etc etc. We conducted in depth studies on our aircraft engine oil when it was swapped over from one manufacturer to another to ensure that the oil even though the same type and grade was performing exactly the same as the old manufacturers oil was, I saw the reports and findings from that.

Maybe I'm just a geek but I find all that fascinating.

5,714 posts well I don't get out much obviously :)

Crap. I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic in all my cars for years. WTFO. Is this not good oil to use? Do I have to use Silkolene Pro S? Is it really that much better? I have no idea where the f*ck I'm going to find that stuff here in Germany. I don't have a degree in oil and reading this sh*t is hurting my eyes.

Mobil 1 is good quality oil, no problems we go on about Silkolene because it is the best, and often that is what people want.

If you would like to try and find some in Germany, people that sell Fuchs (silkolenes parent co.) should be able to get it for you.

It is better then the Mobil 1 as it is ester based, but Mobil is still very, very good.

Cheers

Simon.

Mobil 1 is good quality oil, no problems we go on about Silkolene because it is the best, and often that is what people want.

If you would like to try and find some in Germany, people that sell Fuchs (silkolenes parent co.) should be able to get it for you.

It is better then the Mobil 1 as it is ester based, but Mobil is still very, very good.

Cheers

Simon.

That's what I needed to hear. Thanks. I can get the Mobil 1 at a decent price here, however I'll start looking for Silkolene. Cheers.