The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ceramic hybrids, anyone?

eyefi

Not heard of Ceramic Hybrids....though they could be out there!

Probably your best bet is to search through Google or something like that. Looking at Nick Harris's signature he has a JUN Twin Turbo arrangement might be worth asking him exactly what they are.

im more interested in response and low mid range. i really like the stock sequential ceramic setup and would not be interested in upgrades if i cant improve on that. theres a company in the uk who advertise ceramic hybrids, but i think all the work is carried out in japan. not many places in the world have investment in the equipment required. i cant remember the name of the company who advertises in the uk, ill dig it out and see if anyone has heard of them.

Guest Terry S

Hybrids are steel due to cost. To make ceramics would be far more expensive & are obviously not as strong when running high boost. A nice T88 with ceramic wheels would be good!

Originally posted by HedgehogSandwich adi

I think universal turbos fit ceramic bearings rather than ceramic turbines.

adi

Why?

Is it just to reduce rotating mass?

Does it take more punishment?

How much of a difference could/would they make?

Me thinks someone needs to do more research...I vote for Eyefi :D

Agreed - all claims, fancy wording, and nothing to back it up. Reminds me of [censored] :D

This also fails to instil me with confidence. Check out the random capitalisation and the spelling:

"Universal are the UNITED KINGDOM Distributor for THE American BASED COMPANY, Turbonetics INC, WHO MANUFACTURER Torque-Master, THE Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbocharger"

However - all this doesn't *actually* mean it is a load of horse puckey... More research required...

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

Agreed - all claims, fancy wording, and nothing to back it up. Reminds me of [censored] :D .............

it is a load of horse puckey... More research required...

-Ian

^^^ That wouldn't be that shady 'Mycroft' character would it? :D

[edited by admin, you know what I removed....]

I self-censored my post as I didn't want any fan clubs descending upon me. I let the more intelligent members fill in the blanks themselves :)

Moving swiftly on, I'm interested to know what the deal is with a) ceramic vaned big mofo turbos and b) ceramic bearings. Hunt those url's, eyefi!

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

I self-censored my post as I didn't want any fan clubs descending upon me. I let the more intelligent members fill in the blanks themselves :)

Moving swiftly on, I'm interested to know what the deal is with a) ceramic vaned big mofo turbos and b) ceramic bearings. Hunt those url's, eyefi!

-Ian

LOL :D

Anyways, back to topic. I remember seeing a nice little Toyota badge on an MR-2 GTS (import only turbo version) that read "Dual entry Ceramic Technology" as if it was a big thing. Are Ceramic Turbo's / Turbo's with Ceramic bearings the new performance king?

Taken from your last link eyefi:

"The NASA inspired angular contact, CERAMIC BALL-BEARING design (Patent pending) practically eliminates thrust bearing and operational surge failures. The CERAMIC BALL-BEARING system can safely handle 50 TIMES more thrust loading than conventional turbochargers, making it ideal for severe transients and extreme pressure ratio applications"

The way that paragraph reads, Ceramic ball-bearing Turbo's are the way of the future. It seems you can go for a bigger Turbocharger without the inherent lag of old.

Taking this paragraph into account also:

"TURBONETICS CERAMIC BALL-BEARING turbochargers are winning races and setting new records all over the world. Rapid “spool up”, excellent transient response and unequalled durability combine to make the CERAMIC BALL-BEARING turbo the ULTIMATE TURBOCHARGER for successful race-cars and boats on tracks everywhere. "

More boost with less lag is definitely a good thing, but everybody has different claims for how it is achieved!

Perhaps in a ceramic bearing, the individual balls can have a smaller surface area (because they are harder) so you get less friction on the shaft, and you can get it spinning quicker . . .

Sounds like rubbish to me because the effect on friction slowing the shaft is negligible compared to the two real causes of lag - high inertia of the larger compressor wheel; and the a/r ratio of the exhaust wheel, which can either be high for improved exhaust flow and good top end performance, or low for good response and minimal lag.

Originally posted by Terry Saunders

VNT (Variable Nozzle Technology) is where the turbo's of the future will be.

true, cant wait till its affordable.

thunder, there is less friction with ceramic bearings, giving faster spool, but big heavy blades still dont help things spin quickly.

the ceramic blade technology is nothing new.

Originally posted by Terry Saunders

VNT (Variable Nozzle Technology) is where the turbo's of the future will be.

Wasn't that Variable Vane technology once? Some mainstream diesel engines have them now, if my mind isn't playing tricks on me. I have no idea how they work...

-Ian

I think variable vane turbos alter the pitch of the turbine blades, and VNT alters the size and shape of the exhaust housing to alter the a/r ratio. Very cool idea, the test will be to see whether they can alter it over a wide enough range . . . your turbo could be a CT12 at low revs, and magically expand up to a T88 at 6000 rpm . . . how cool would that be??? :D