The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! USB problems

JohnK

Just installed the Nvidia system utility, its listed as compatable with my motherboard a chaintech znf3-250

Run it and My usb stopped working, windows reports malfunctioning USB device.

I uninstalled the prog, reinstalled both the nvidia and via usb s/w from the cd that came with the MB but still no luck.

Device manager doesnt show any problems, root hub and controllers show up fine but there are 3 unknown devices. Ive tried uninstalling all of the usb components and rebooting but xp just finds the same things again.

Now the really strange and worrying part......

The system is dual boot win xp pro and win xp 64 bit. I installed the prog only on pro, but 64 bit is showing the same problems.

This leads me to believe its a hardware problem, so I loaded failsafe defaults in bios, and for good measure set usb to v1.1 only ( I have no usb2 devices) but still it refuses to work.

Any ideas please, i dont fancy trying to take this one back to the shop as its a problem I caused (I can blag that ;) ) but its a few months old now and they will probably want to send it for repair and I can do without the down time.