The mkiv Supra Owners Club

water injection?

randy

I was wondering is there any performance gain using water injection? I live in a hot country is it good to use water injection? Average temp here - 28 degrees celsius.

Will a bigger intercooler be a better upgrade than the water injection say the HKS-Type -S?:)

Guest Martin F

As stated on the previous thread, water injection is not so much a performance upgrade but a safety measure for when you are running higher than stock boost.

The fact that it will cool the inlet charge may provide a small performance gain.

In the scale of things you would probably see a better performance gain from an FMIC, particularly in hot climates.  

I agree with Martin.

Use Water Injection as a belt and braces approach. A nice to have and safety backup system.

Do NOT rely on it always being there as sometimes they do break (when you least expect)

You could use it to enable you to increase boost and hence get more power out but you are opening up a whole new set of problems should it fail.

The beauty of an FMIC is it's pretty much never going to fail andwhen it does its fails safe and dumps all that boost and protects your engine.

Don't get me wrong I've got water injection which I think is great and as yet not an FMIC but I use it in summer to make sure I get a little extra protection (even though I'm sure it's O.K. at the levels of boost I run)

If you do fit H20i then do also install some kind of device to detect the level of water in the bottle (you don't want to run out!) and also something that will indicate that the pump is running as expected.

I've done all this to my car with a couple of LED's and a water level float sensor in the washer bottle.

Regards

Pete

Water injection only runs over .8 bar to prevent detonation at WOT (wide open throttle).

Intercoolers only work whilst the car is in motion and if the intercooler is in the air stream....Ie if you get a big intercooler the "mouth" of the Supra needs to be bigger to get any actual benefit for the expense.

If you are trying to cool the engine you need to uprate the Radiator and add an addtional Oil Cooler, as well as your vented bonnet idea.

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 9:40 pm on Mar. 27, 2002[br]Water injection only runs over .8 bar to prevent detonation at WOT (wide open throttle).

This is actually adjustable, i know that mine is quite a bit higher than that.

Pete, can i ask where you have mounted the indicator LED's as it is something i so desperately want to add to my WI system but i am struggling to find a neat 'OEM Style' mounting solution for the LED's.

>This is actually adjustable,

>i know that mine is quite a bit higher than that.

Yes you just turn a nut on the pressure sensor to move when it triggers the pump.

I'm going to do away with the mechanical switch soon and use one of my controllers to activate the pump when I want to. i.e. if the temps are high it'll turn the pump on earlier etc.

>Pete, can i ask where you have mounted the indicator LED's as it is

>something i so desperately want to add to my WI system but i am

>struggling to find a neat 'OEM Style' mounting solution for the LED's.

Ummm. Well for now I've poked them out of the dash by my steering column. Naff I know but the intention is to fit it to my controller system (out in June/July this year)  

What type of look are you after?

You can have rectangular, round, big,small LED's.

Red/Yellow/Green/Blue in colour

You can get Bi and Tri coloured LEDS so only one LED can indicate a number of conditions from the colour. (e.g. Green indicates power to the pump, ORANGE represents power to the pump but NO water, RED presents no power and No water)

Mounted in plastic clips or polished aliminium collars

In bars or individual

Mounted in centre of switches

As for switch types there are even more types available.

What look do you want ideally?

You could wire it in to flash one of the existing warning lights?

Loads of ideas so you need to indicate an example of what look you are after.

Pete

Guest Martin F
Quote: from TRL Performance on 7:22 am on Mar. 28, 2002[br]

What look do you want ideally?

You could wire it in to flash one of the existing warning lights?

Loads of ideas so you need to indicate an example of what look you are after.

Pete

Yep i think making use of one of the original warning indicators may be my best option.

I currently drive along with the 'TRAC' indicator displayed as my fuse has been pulled and i'm thinking of hooking this up to the RLTC LED for a stock type looking setup.

The Bi and tri colour LED was something i had thought about and like, but again not sure where to mount for the neatest solution.

Ho Hummm i'm sure i will come up with somewhere.

Quote: from randy on 9:02 am on Mar. 28, 2002[br]Just thinking about the water injection. Isnt the water going to boil in the engine bay with the engine and turbo spewing out so much heat. Is it beneficial using it even if the water gets hot?

In standard form  WI uses water form the washer bottle, so this is probably around ambient temperature. Martin has a bottle mounted near the offside head lamp in the  engine bay.  I am sure he will tell you how hot the water gets.

LED's are so small you can mount them anywhere.

Perhaps inside the speedo head unit?

Like a three stage LED or something.

RED/YELLOW/GREEN

Power On/ Water level O.K./ Pump in operation

If you have an auto this could look similar to the auto shift lights.

You really have to bite the bullet and choose somewhere to fit them.

How about inside the normal warning light combination panel? The one with the engine check light and oil level warning etc?

I think I recall there is actually a spare space whre you could fit a new bulb, maybe three LED's behind it. Then the colour insicate again what's happening?

Up to you now.

Pete

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Phil Wall on 9:23 am on Mar. 28, 2002[br]

Martin has a bottle mounted near the offside head lamp in the  engine bay.  I am sure he will tell you how hot the water gets.

Can't help on that one much at the mo, because i've only driven it to Bolney and back with this seperate bottle. Although the intention is to install some sort of Max-Air box arrangement around the air filter and WI bottle so this will help keep things cool.

Quote: from TRL Performance on 9:29 am on Mar. 28, 2002[br]

Up to you now.

Pete

I know, just need to bite the bullet..... :)