The mkiv Supra Owners Club

some pics from raf markam

gaz1

it was 183 gprs but had to look at the track for the last bit as i nearly missed the corner, i shit a brick as it came up so fast:blink:

The speed the Supras get upto on the main straight is silly and makes it difficult to judge that corner properly, it comes up pretty quick doesnt it :D

Last time I had some serious braking down from upper 6th gear. I could actually feel the grip dissapear as the tyre overheats around 90mph and the handling turns to treacle. Big brakes never fade but the tryres melt! I never did pile in that corner hard, as I hit the limits of the road tyres way before I would thread that needle!

When you come to those next 3 corners the handling was still sludgy until the tyres lose some heat.. Seriously thinking of some 888's on the next set of rims, and keep my old 19's for the winter.

hmm.. be interested to see what you think the difference is between these two tyres. You did say the 888's were totally unuasable in standing water.

I wouldnt like to use them in wet and I havent tried yet, I hit a couple of showers on the way home from Marham and they were ok but no standing water.

I wrecked the new front 2 tyres on my saab within 2 hours on saturday, they were Pirelli p zero road legal track tyres. Second lap and they were letting go at the back on the long left hander. I've never had tyres as bad as these Pirellis. I was going to buy888's but am concerned that if I get the Toyos they will overheat also. Now I know Marham is very abrasive but in april I got both days out of a front set of Toyo T1-R's by swapping them over on sunday but would have appreciated more grip.

Whilst I know its a catch 22 situation, grip against longtivity but its turning out to be an expensive exercise buying and trying different tyres.

So any ideas on what to try next from trackday experiences on this board?

Second lap and they were letting go at the back on the long left hander. I've never had tyres as bad as these Pirellis.

Did they melt and go all spongy or did they just wear out?

Terry S used to put mitchelin pilot sport on my car and said they did very well.

Did they melt and go all spongy or did they just wear out?

Terry S used to put mitchelin pilot sport on my car and said they did very well.

The rear tyres didn't so much wear, still lots of thread left, but they never felt as if the were gripping. The front ones just wore out rapidly and delaminated coming out of the pit chicane, 2 foot lengths of rubber wrapped around the drive shaft and wheel arch..