The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Arrggghhh. please someone explain why Autos are so popular!

Sparky

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Anyone selling a nice Auto TT pref not oo far away from Dorset so say within 150 miles of DT3 5 area. No major engine mods, and not ott on exterior bling either. Just a nice clean, good mileage example for around 8k max.

Can't go wrong with the auto box mate. I was pretty skeptical before I heard everyone raving about it on here. Haven't looked back since buying mine either.

If you like to drive your car buy a manual, if you like to be driven buy an auto :)

:rolleyes: There's always one.

He's got an NA, did he not have sufficient bladder control to own something quicker?

:D

*Gets lighter fluid out and adds to the fire*

If you want to go fast, get a manual. If you want to go faster, get an auto.

My work is done :D

If you want to control your slide, get a Manual

If you want it to drop down a cog mid bend and plant it through a wall, get an auto.

If you want it to drop down a cog mid bend and plant it through a wall, get an auto.

:D Dude you should change that to "if you want a ready-mixed excuse for not being able to control a powerful RWD car and losing it mid-bend, buy an auto".

I was talking to an Jap importer who has been in the business for years and he says he hasn't seen one in Japan for 3 years...

Not any on the autoserver Japanese auction site either.

He told you he hasn't seen a 6 speed TT in Japan for three years????

What about the ones that Jurgen keeps bringing in (i bought one from him last year) and Paul Whiffin etc.? I reckon you mate must have his eyes closed or something.

I replaced my manual Supra with a tiptronic Aristo.

And I'm afraid to say I have to joint the ranks of the naysayers. If I had the choice, I'd go back to the manual. Every time. And that includes the fact that I used it as a daily driver through 5 miles of town centre and back every rush hour.

Unless you specifically want a track car, or plain just hate automatics I personally think a stock TT + auto is a marriage made in heaven. The 6 speed manual is a truck like thing with horrible shift quality, albeit quite a strong transmission. It's also got one gear too many, a fashion fad, no doubt :) The auto box is one of the finest autos of its time, smooth, reliable and not too heavy, with well chosen ratios and a good manual override.

If I lived in a town it would be a total no brainer, I'd have an auto. They just take all the stress out of driving in traffic. If you plan heavy performance mods though, a manual would make more sense.

For 8k you might find a VVTI TT Tiptronic.... :) Best of both worlds....

I replaced my manual Supra with a tiptronic Aristo.

And I'm afraid to say I have to joint the ranks of the naysayers. If I had the choice, I'd go back to the manual. Every time. And that includes the fact that I used it as a daily driver through 5 miles of town centre and back every rush hour.

The aristo box is cack though and nothing like the supra one. The whole gear change programming is completely different and when you put a supra map onto an AEM on an aristo the drive train just doesn't like it. Hence I will be going manual as soon as Jezz gives me the nod. I have had an auto N/A and an auto BPU enhanced TT supra. My honest opinion is that if you really really want a manual car---flippin buy one and be done with it. If however you have an open mind about it drive one and see what you think. Its a personal descision and for me I would stay auto if I could get a box fitted and tuned nice for less than a manual conversion that can take the power I want to stick through it.

I wanted a manual but ended up with a bpu auto ,i have no regrets.it drives like a pussy cat in traffic,then rips your eyeballs

out when you nail it,.The gear change is so smooth and it just keeps going.

when i was looking i was told that about 1 in 20 cars were manual ,take an auto out for a spin it may surprise you.:yahoo:

Simple really, buy what you want, the manual is the tool of choice for trackdays, however the Auto is a cracking box, its as quick as a manual, actually quicker on the drag strip, & much cheaper, no need to row the box round town, and constantly depress the clutch, the its an old mans car stigma is good though helps keeps pricing down:p

I'd be surprised if manufacturers are making many manuals in 15 yrs time, apart from for sportcars & exotics, and even they're going tiptronic.

The truth hurts :D

*Gets lighter fluid out and adds to the fire*

If you want to go fast, get a manual. If you want to go faster, get an auto.

My work is done :D

:D:d

The back end of the auto can do that too if you've got the k-now how. Can't say as I can do it, but I've seen videos of people who can.

The aristo box is cack though and nothing like the supra one. The whole gear change programming is completely different and when you put a supra map onto an AEM on an aristo the drive train just doesn't like it. Hence I will be going manual as soon as Jezz gives me the nod. I have had an auto N/A and an auto BPU enhanced TT supra. My honest opinion is that if you really really want a manual car---flippin buy one and be done with it. If however you have an open mind about it drive one and see what you think. Its a personal descision and for me I would stay auto if I could get a box fitted and tuned nice for less than a manual conversion that can take the power I want to stick through it.

Fair enough - I've never driven an auto Supra - just the Aristo. I would love it in manual (and may well join you in Jezz's queue ;) ). I don't like the Aristo box, but not so much that there's another car I'd trade in for.....