The mkiv Supra Owners Club

B&M Autobox?

rob wild

Out of interest, how are people putting these multiple coolers in, I hope in some sort of parallel style, otherwise having the coolant forced sequentially through all those coolers would kill pressure levels.

Steve was offering fluid manifolds in his group buy but personally I'd always be more worried about high ATF (not coolant lol) line pressures - mine are daisy chained and I've seen / felt no ill effects.

Cheers,

Brian.

makes my BL TH400 box with transbrake and 2 large B&M coolers and custom undercar brackets and braided lines look cheap for £2000 off migster.

also could offset the cost a bit buy selling my stock auto box and PE 4000 TC to make it a cheap upgrade.also the TH400 box uses more easy to get auto fluid too.

good to see options on boxes.leon had lots of troubles with gearboxes in his car.what is he running now.

Contacted Obiwan and asked a couple of questions about the pre-racing box. He's seen this thread, but can't post, but he made these comments by email:

"The auto's have held up in dozens of cars for years and years. The most common reason for failure or damage is driver error, IE. banging it into gear at high rpm's (which no one should ever do, but you would be surprised...), insufficent cooling due to no external coolers, slamming it into overdrive on the dyno, NEVER do that. ETc. Otherwise when driven properly they are fantastic and very stout."

"Also to answer the flow question people brought up, the highly modded oil pump in our units increases flow quite a bit which helps when stacking coolers, etc. "

I'm not affiliated with Pre-Racing at all, or pimping their stuff, but it looks like it may be another good option. It's a pity I don't know anyone with one and can't search on Supraforums.

Well, I know the Boostlogic boxes are outsourced so it wouldn't surprise me if these pre-racing ones were actually made by the same outfit lol, can't say I'd heard of them before now though.

Cheers,

Brian.

Well, I know the Boostlogic boxes are outsourced so it wouldn't surprise me if these pre-racing ones were actually made by the same outfit lol, can't say I'd heard of them before now though.

Cheers,

Brian.

From his comments, he doesn't supply Boostlogic!! Obiwan's been around for ages. He was the head tech guy (or at least one of them) at PHR for years.

I don't suppose anyone makes an aftermarket replacement box with more gears than normal? Say a five speed or four speed and overdrive?

That would be cost prohibitive because it would necessitate a custom housing db. There might be some people doing say the Lexus 5-Speed autos upgraded for decent power handling capability and these may well fit the Supra if the standard auto bellhousing mates up to them and they are the same length as the Supra autoboxes. Otherwise they'd need a bellhousing adapter plate and / or a custom propshaft section.

Cheers,

Brian.

Ah so I am stuck with a second and third gear I feel are a bit too long then :( The whole manual conversion thing is looking more and more attractive by the week.

Brain i was thinking that more and more until last night when Paul Mac took me out for a quite blast in his T61 with a BL + 3200 TC! What a difference it makes the low down pick was brilliant! and very similar to putting a manual in first and just flooring it only (and this is the good bit) you don't have to worry about the up change as it does it for you :) I think i have made my mind up and im going for a built autobox with high stall :) Not sure if you have been out in one matey but if you haven't its well worth a go!

Thanks again Paul for the demo matey you really do have a excellent example of supra their!

Some good info did he mention prices to the UK?

Cheers

Rob

I'm waiting for a shipping quote, but if you ask them to supply the core it really bumps the cost up. An extra $1000 :blink:. I expect it would be possible to get one off supraforums + ship it to them much cheaper, but it's a faddle.

What about negotiating a group buy direct and shipping the cores out (I have one ready to go) If they go by ship with bellhousings removed, I guess not too expensive. Need to check, but have a feeling they are around 30KG without BH and easy to pack.

What about negotiating a group buy direct and shipping the cores out (I have one ready to go) If they go by ship with bellhousings removed' date=' I guess not too expensive. Need to check, but have a feeling they are around 30KG without BH and easy to pack.[/quote']

Are you talking about Pre-com or BL?

I expect it would be possible to get one off supraforums + ship it to them much cheaper, but it's a faddle.

thats exactly what i did and to be fair to the guy on SF he didn't pack it very well (as reported to me by BL via Dusty) but from wiring him the money it was with BL within the week, when i searched on SF there were 4 auto boxs for sale, the guy i got mine from told me it had low'ish miles on the box (this is a trust thing) and he was 100 bucks more than some of the others (from memory) but he had 100% feedback and had sold numerous items before which i thought more important than price, from memory box delivered to BL was about $300

What about negotiating a group buy direct and shipping the cores out (I have one ready to go) If they go by ship with bellhousings removed' date=' I guess not too expensive. Need to check, but have a feeling they are around 30KG without BH and easy to pack.[/quote']

Sounds good to me :) what about setting up a new post so gauge intrested ?

Don't send away your bellhousing whatever you do - you won't get one back!

Personally I'd say it's best to pay the deposit up front, get the box over then sort out sending them a used core once you're up and running with the new box to get your deposit back at that point. It's nice / useful to be able to compare the boxes side by side as you work on them / the car and it ensures you have everything necessary - like the need to swap tailshafts over etc depending on what box variant they supply you.

That's the way we played my BL box / hi stall order.

Cheers,

Brian.