The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power to gauge from clock?

Supra_Nish

Guys,

Wired the gauge in yesterday works great.

Its a mechanical gauge and i powered it from the clock as recommended here and there, but the back light stays on permanently!

Ignition off, key removed, alarm on its still lit up.

Any ideas?

It has two wires out the back which i hooked into red and greeny wires going into clock for power

Cheers

The clock is wired as follows.

Red = Perm +v

White/Black = Gnd 0v

Green/Orange = Light Power

Blue/Red = Switched Power

You should connect into the White/Black for 0v and the Green/Orange for light power.

This was for a UK spec but I'm sure it's the same for a J spec.

Hope this helps.

One of the clock's connectors is a permanent 12V, otherwise it wouldn't remember the time. That's the one you've used instead of the ignition switched one. IIRC the pre-facelift clock (i.e. digital one) has +12v permanent, +12V ign, ground and +12 illumination wires. Looking at the wiring diagram on mkiv.com, I think the permanent 12V is red, illumination +12V is green-orange, ground is black-white and ign 12V is blue-red. Dunno what connections your gauge needs.

The facelift clock has +12V permanent, ground, +12V illumination and illumination ground. This is because the facelift clock dims with the other instrument lights. The +12V illumination stays at +12V whenever the lights are on, and the illumination ground varies between 0V for full brightness and +12V for dimmed right down. This is backwards from the way you might expect!

• 18 years later...