The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The bouncy ass / unstable / nervous / rocking / weaving rear end thread

DaveK

Well, I'm back and the verdict is.......

....it's been fixed.

The car behaved perfectly all the way home. There have been one or two journey's in the past where it behaved better than normal - but the horrible weaving / rocking could still be induced manually by a quick left-right-left-right input to the steering wheel - that would have the car weaving and rocking for a good 5 or 10s after you'd straightened the wheel. I tried that several times on the way home, and every single time the car settled as soon as I straightened the wheel (and to Mr. Tooty in the volvo : :p - I stayed inside my own lane and was nowhere near you).

Unfortunately - I can't tell what made the difference, the diff mount or the lower control arm. I think Mark believes it was the control arm. Either way, the problem has been completely cured and I'm very happy about it.

:D

nice, always nice to have a remedy on the site for a problem. I'm off out to check my rear control arms.

It may not be easy to see if you have a problem. Mark has checked my suspension before and was sure it was OK - it was only because he noticed rust around the bush that alerted him this time. He tried to demostrate the play in the arm to be today by putting the old one in a vice, but couldn't make it misbehave. It seems that he had to lever it at a certain angle and then it moved quite a bit - but any other way it looked unworn.

My money was on the control arm..

my first car you could actually rock the wheel back and forwards to an audible clunk, it was a gonner; 64km with very hard suspension.

it's not an expnsive item to replace.. might do mine next time I'm at the dealership.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the way over to the garage to do mine today. Are they difficult to replace?

Ok, nevermind. I don't think I'll be doing them today. Apparently it's a much longer process than I envisioned. Reading the manual, it says you have to take the axles out in order to swap the lower control arms.

Anybody able to verify?

CW?