The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front crank seal, AGAIN!!!!

veilsideTT

OK, there is a development in this subject now.

Tonight I’ve managed to get the crank pulley off and the timing belt so I can have a good look at the seal.

Now, I was expecting the seal to have popped out or at least be out enough to let the oil literally pour out as it was when the car was running.

But, the seal is still in properly and there were no signs of any damage at all.

So i started to look around for any other places that looked like a problem area.

There seems to be an excessive amount of oil around the Oil Pump Relief Valve. At first i just thought this was oil from the timing belt being flung around but now the seal looks to be ok I’m starting to wonder if this is where the oil has been coming from.

Although I know the seal on the crank could still be the cause as the eye can not sometimes see the full problem with seals etc. but that seal does not look like it would let floods of oil through it.

Is this a possibility that it could be the oil pump relief valve?

Scott

Originally posted by veilsideTT

OK, there is a development in this subject now.

Tonight I’ve managed to get the crank pulley off and the timing belt so I can have a good look at the seal.

Now, I was expecting the seal to have popped out or at least be out enough to let the oil literally pour out as it was when the car was running.

But, the seal is still in properly and there were no signs of any damage at all.

So i started to look around for any other places that looked like a problem area.

There seems to be an excessive amount of oil around the Oil Pump Relief Valve. At first i just thought this was oil from the timing belt being flung around but now the seal looks to be ok I’m starting to wonder if this is where the oil has been coming from.

Although I know the seal on the crank could still be the cause as the eye can not sometimes see the full problem with seals etc. but that seal does not look like it would let floods of oil through it.

Is this a possibility that it could be the oil pump relief valve?

Scott

The bolt in the top off it has an O ring to seal in the tube , it could be this .

Dude:flame Dev

I had the car running with the new seal in and all the covers off but i dont think i had it running long enough to see if it was the relief valve leaking.

I ran it for about 20 secs and got about 6bar of oil pressure. dont think it was enough to see the leak though

I need to get the accesory belt back on and fill up with coolant before i can run the car up for a longer period.

Just ran out of time tonight.

Ive got to take the water pump off to get that relief valve out havent i? Bloody Japs!

Scott