Digsy

Quote: from Doughie on 1:43 pm on Aug. 17, 2001[br]read about AVS' here :

generally :

http://www.tirerack.com

specifically (AVS vs s-02):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/avs_sport.htm

another comment:

http://www.audiworld.com/reviews/wheels/yoko1.shtml

I think these three sites are all in the market of praising everything. I don't think "We sell shit tyres, come and buy some" is generally good marketing.

The site which was posted on this BBS, a while ago, had some reasonably aggressive back-to-back tests; one by either Revs or Max Power, one by Which, etc. They weren't looking to make any friends or sell tyres, so the reports were fairly credible.

Oh yes, they were looking at overall performance on the road & track, not just track like these reviews.

Bridgestone Potenza S-02

In their trial of performance car tyres the S-02 came top out of 10 brands tested by Max Power magazine (12/98). They state that the only area where it didn't excel was in dry handling. In particular the magazine praised the tyre's good looks as well as its gradual and balanced cornering.

The S-02 also came joint top with the Goodyear Eagle F1 in Autocar's (11/99) high performance car tyre test. It performed well in all stages of the test, particularly wet handling but scored poorly for coast by noise and rolling resistance.

This tyre came joint first with two others in Sport Auto's test (6/00). The reviewers found its agile handling and precise steering with high aquaplaning resistance made it easily controllable in the wet. The S-02 also performed well in the braking test but offered low traction on the rear axle on a wet surface

Eagle F1

Max Power magazine (12/98) rated this tyre second behind the Bridgestone S-02. It was considered best for wet handling but its performance was let down by a below average result in dry braking and only average wet braking.

The Eagle F1 performed well in Autocar's test (11/99) but again came second to the S-02. Similarly, it was best in the wet but scored poorly for dry handling and coast by noise.

After a very good aquaplaning and wet braking performance, Sport Auto's reviewers (3/00) recommended this tyre to consumers. On the downside, when pushed to the limit it tended to understeer, dry braking was unsatisfactory and handling was only rated average

IMHO, I think it's between these two. Granted that they sometimes seems to be comparing chalk and cheese but overall it's gotta be one of these.

At the risk of 'kicking off' :)

Justin is actually going to try F1's on his Lancer when the S03's wear out as he was quite impressed with mine.

Could be my fantastically smooth driving style though....

on the other hand maybe not.