The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing the Plugs

Vaughany

Merckx - You should've done what I did and bought parts for the car before you had it. :p

I got mine about 4 weeks ago too, but I'm just waiting for the bodykit to come before I get the exhaust changed and bother doing all the indicators. I don't want my standard Supra looking splendid with new indicators when all the paint around them needs a retouch. :D

BUT BACK TO PLUGS... I was trying to find something online from a Haynes manual. ALL the Haynes manuals have the same pictures of spark plugs in them with a description of their condition. i.e. What to look out for when checking your plugs.

I found what I was looking for but it wasn't from Haynes. Check this out:

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/diagnosis.htm

I hope that helps. I like it. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread ;) :D but, I'm changing the plugs tomorrow on the old girl.

I've got Denso IK24's to go on. Now do I need to gap them or not? If so what gap for about 1.2 bar? (I guess about 0.8mm or so?)

As a slight aside I'm also changing the LSD fluid. How the hell do you get the fluid from the bottle into the LSD without turning the car upside down? On a cursory inspection I couldn't see where I could get the bottle above the drain plug?

Cheers

Tony

For the LSD Fluid you need the bottle to have a long "spout". When you stick the spout in the filler hole you can just get it above horizontal and then just squeeze hard on the bottle. It seems to take forever!!

Cheers

:)

• 6 months later...

im going to be changing my plugs this weekend on my TT. The only thing that concerns me is the crankcase breather hoses under the spark plug cover. Are they all knackered?? If mine have gone, do i have to use the toyota hoses or can i just bodge any bit of hose on?

I had the same problem. The hoses were rock hard and generally knackered. It was the weekend and I couldn't get genuine Toyota ones. I just bought some good quality rubber hose from the local motor factor (note that the two breather hoses are of a different diameter, ISTR one was 13mm and one was 10mm but don't quote me)

The genuine toyota hoses are the correct S shape but the bodged ones work fine if cut to exactly the right length and, after all, it's not a high pressure application.

Well finally got the job done today after about 4 hours of graft and had a few suprises!! First the breather hoses were nice and supple and didnt crack at all, and came off very easily, the hardest thing of the whole job was taking off the screws that hold on the coilpacks - they were quite literally seized on and it took a few cans of wd40 and some immense man power to get them off!! Once they came off after about 1-2 hours, the plugs themselves were strangely quite stiff to come out. Managed to get them out and they looked very old and tired - in fact so old they bore the same 'ND' insignia as what is on the radiator cap and other ancillaries in the bay - im wondering if the plugs were factory items, and have been in the car for 13 odd years???!! The struggle to get the plugs out and the condition of them may suggest this....I also managed to break the inside of one of the plugs that attaches to the coil pakcs(brittle plastic) and had to manually plug the metal ends into the top of the coil pack and then insulate with tape..........

Car now feels a lot more responsive and even makes a nicer noise!!!

Agreed Ian and all well and good in theory but servicing is not just about keeping it running sweet its also a safety check , the sup is complicated expensive bit of kit , if people want to experiment with servicing they shoul stick to the petrol lawnmower in the shed , they dont tend to kill people when they go wrong !!!!!:eek:

Dude:flame Dev

ohh yes they do!! :read: