undersized front number plate ????

markjodrell

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So sticky ones arent legal, ffs..........

Well just have to run my luck, I aint having a full size on the Bomex mounting space, it blocks 50% of the in take at the front, and I suffered enough with heating issues last summer......still one time and they could effectivly remove my reg, now Im debating this whole thing again.......

I got stopped the other day too for having a smaller front numberplate. The irony being that I had just changed it to a new, personalised plate, the day before. The one I had on there before was actually smaller, and I didn't get stopped in 2 years!

It's totally clear, and I can't see how it can be hard to read. I've seen MUCH worse. Attached is a pic (with my ugly mug in it) to give you an idea. Yes, I know the spacing is a tad on the illegal side, but the policeman actually said that he stopped me because of the size, and the spacing was an added bonus, although he probably wouldn't have stopped me for that alone.

My problem is that a full size numberplate will block most of the airflow to the FMIC, and will look ridiculous!

plate.jpg

I got stopped the other day too for having a smaller front numberplate. The irony being that I had just changed it to a new, personalised plate, the day before. The one I had on there before was actually smaller, and I didn't get stopped in 2 years!

It's totally clear, and I can't see how it can be hard to read. I've seen MUCH worse. Attached is a pic (with my ugly mug in it) to give you an idea. Yes, I know the spacing is a tad on the illegal side, but the policeman actually said that he stopped me because of the size, and the spacing was an added bonus, although he probably wouldn't have stopped me for that alone.

My problem is that a full size numberplate will block most of the airflow to the FMIC, and will look ridiculous!

funny enough I got stoped just the day after I swaped my numbers over and put my private one on, Ironic !!!

the thing is I had the same number plate on my other car before the supra and never got stoped for over 3 years and as soon as it went on the sup I got nicked !!!

the guy told me you car get spotted from miles away and that when polic comes to find something wrong !!! cheeky bastid!

so you'd be ok if you have your number on a citroen picaso :D

by the way they told me if they stoped me next time with same problem (number plate business) they will take my reg away from me and replace it with a "Q" one, isnt that better to have a "Q" number plate as I think its kind of ace really :D

funny enough I got stoped just the day after I swaped my numbers over and put my private one on, Ironic !!!

the thing is I had the same number plate on my other car before the supra and never got stoped for over 3 years and as soon as it went on the sup I got nicked !!!

the guy told me you car get spotted from miles away and that when polic comes to find something wrong !!! cheeky bastid!

so you'd be ok if you have your number on a citroen picaso :D

by the way they told me if they stoped me next time with same problem (number plate business) they will take my reg away from me and replace it with a "Q" one, isnt that better to have a "Q" number plate as I think its kind of ace really :D

Not really mate, it will make your car worthless, no one would want to buy a Q plate, as I hear Q plates are for kit cars, cars been put back on the road, or generally something else not quite right about them, hence people avoid Q plates like the plague.

Thing is about my small plate that I was using, it is totally read-able as I did get done on a front facing camera in Pompy, they were able to read the reg and contact me through it, so if it can be seen ok, why not ? And especially with todays digital photos that can be blown up larger...........total cod shite in my eyes all this is and really gets to me.......

Graham, seriously how the fuck can you get away with silver on black...........that takes the piss, even by my standards lol :D

No idea dude, drove past a police car on the motorway a while ago and nothing, didn't even look twice, think he realised it was a UK spec and let it be. :p

Guest Nicholas
very interesting mate :thumbs:

was good if you could use it in front really, rear is not any help in most of our case.

you get away cos you live in Kazakistan mate :p

If you mount it upside down on the underside of a front bumper say my TS one it would be good :) flip down as you get pulled, ahem officer maybe you didn't see it?

:innocent:

Seems like i've been lucky then, fair enough i've not driven it much this year but have driven past at least 10 police cars. here is mine:

I quite fancied the silver on black but its illegal on toooo many counts.

A mate of mine brought a Evo from Liverpool docks auctions, straight off the boat. Drove it home to Stoke-on-Trent with NO plates on at all.

we were on the motorway (M6) I was following him when a cop car passed me and dropped in behind the Evo, my mate decided to get off at the next junction , the cop followed and I joined them expecting now for a pull. Got to the roundabout and the cop just sailed past and went on his merry way.

Doesnt make sence, my mate could have gone through any speed camera he wanted had a few accidents and there would be know way of tracing the car[GRIN][/GRIN]:p :p

I think it all depends on the copper and what sort of a day hes having.:innocent: :innocent:

Anyway Im leaving my small plate on but will put a legal one in the boot , just in case.:)

Nice idea, but only usefull if you are deliberatly going out of your way to flash the camera.Most want something to help if you accidently go past a camera just over the speed limit , like most who get caught are doung, 37 in a 30 etc :eyebrows: [ANGRY][/ANGRY]

What you want is something like photoblocker, click on the link

http://www.photoblockeruk.com/

this is supposed to put a HIGH shine on your plate that reflects the light back to the camera so it cannot pick up your number,

this is illegal to use but pretty much undetectable,not that Id use it , but you can get it off Ebay ;) ;) ;)

Nice idea, but only usefull if you are deliberatly going out of your way to flash the camera.Most want something to help if you accidently go past a camera just over the speed limit , like most who get caught are doung, 37 in a 30 etc :eyebrows: [ANGRY][/ANGRY]

What you want is something like photoblocker, click on the link

http://www.photoblockeruk.com/

this is supposed to put a HIGH shine on your plate that reflects the light back to the camera so it cannot pick up your number,

this is illegal to use but pretty much undetectable,not that Id use it , but you can get it off Ebay ;) ;) ;)

It is detectable mate, as soon as plod are sat behind you your plate wont show on their camera and they will tug, they are very aware of this stuff that you can put/spray over your plate, and have seen it a few times on Traffic Cops on tv, and they dont like it neither, and saying you bought the car like it dont have any effect either, I have seem them literally tear the car apart then just looking for stuff......

thread started with problems with smaller or no front plates guys, speeding wasnt the deal really :D

these posts always get side tracked, but plates size / speed cameras and cops are pretty much related. As a member mentioned he got dun on a camera with his small plate which defies the cops argument that they are too small to get recognised

It is detectable mate, as soon as plod are sat behind you your plate wont show on their camera and they will tug, they are very aware of this stuff that you can put/spray over your plate, and have seen it a few times on Traffic Cops on tv, and they dont like it neither, and saying you bought the car like it dont have any effect either, I have seem them literally tear the car apart then just looking for stuff......

The plates WILL show up on there camera if they follow you , its only supposed to help when you get flashed by a gatso flash where no cops are directly involved. I know the cops are aware of such products but with the spray its not so obvious its been tampered with, not like a james bond number plate style flippers.Anyway Im not endorsing any of these products but the spray does appears to work in the link

I think you'll find this applies to all imported Supra's as they don't have European Type Approval, and arguably the font number plate holder is too small to support a full size plate....

Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles

(which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

and

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size number plates

Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height 64mm

Character Width 44mm

Character Stroke 10mm

Space between characters 10mm

This is what my front plate is made to. I had an arguement on the side of the road with a copper who thought he knew better. I asked him if he could show me some kind of written authority that explained what it should be as what he was saying was in contradiction to the VOSA website, to which he said "yes I'll write this ticket and then I'll show you as I've got a book explaining it all in the back of the car" and then halfway through writing the ticket he said "actually, I've got to go... just make sure you get it changed" and then left without issueing the V.R.N.

I quite fancied the silver on black but its illegal on toooo many counts.
Only one count really, isn't it? They're legal on pre-1973 cars.

A mate of mine brought a Evo from Liverpool docks auctions, straight off the boat. Drove it home to Stoke-on-Trent with NO plates on at all.
He didn't break the law though. ISTR it's OK to drive a freshly imported car from the docks to the place it's going to prepared for SVA, as long as it's insured of course.

Have had my small plate on now for about 3 years, got pulled for speeding and they made an issue of my plate, being issued a rectification and MOT sign off sheet. Drove it straight the MOT station and they signed it off straight away, as the MOT states that a number plate must be readible from a distance of 20 metres, or 20 feet or something like that.

If you are really only bothered about the air flow thing, why not get one of those hinged plates that goes to a horizontal position when at a certain speed. http://www.takakaira.co.jp used to sell them.

Only one count really, isn't it? They're legal on pre-1973 cars.

He didn't break the law though. ISTR it's OK to drive a freshly imported car from the docks to the place it's going to prepared for SVA, as long as it's insured of course.

Jake

you are absolutly correct about the no plates to the sva station bit, a m8 of mine whos a trader actually said its less legal putting trade plates on for some reason, he always does any how, just show what an ass the law is though

Have had my small plate on now for about 3 years, got pulled for speeding and they made an issue of my plate, being issued a rectification and MOT sign off sheet. Drove it straight the MOT station and they signed it off straight away, as the MOT states that a number plate must be readible from a distance of 20 metres, or 20 feet or something like that.

If you are really only bothered about the air flow thing, why not get one of those hinged plates that goes to a horizontal position when at a certain speed. http://www.takakaira.co.jp used to sell them.

But its just not about whether its readible from 20 meters or whatever it is, Im sure mine would have been, but it still wasnt standard size lettering.....so dont see how that can of worked........in fact its criminal, better still where did you go cause I wanna take my car there then....