The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newby with pics

GeordieSteve

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Calling all technical people, is this true?

You dont honestly expect there to be any around here do you :D ............

ChrisB You seem to have forgot to put what day its on in the thread in the Gatherings Section...... ;)

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Calling all technical people, is this true?

Steve, where is Andy Urwins?

not a techie but .......

paul - i suspect what ashley said is quite true, having heard it myself from several different sources that are in the know. 50bhp is quite a number to be honest and aside from the safety/stability issue - doubt that claim. my 2p at any rate ...

i think it allows you to up boost within a safety margin (your point about cooler and denser air) and hence achieve more power. it isn't directly attributable to just installing the fmic. :)

willis - since when did you become such a tech-head ? :innocent: :p you almost sound like you know what you're talking about .........PMSL :D now there's a scary thought ! LOL ....:)

Originally posted by Roy

willis - since when did you become such a tech-head ? :innocent: :p you almost sound like you know what you're talking about .........PMSL :D now there's a scary thought ! LOL ....:)

Shit yeah man, if people have to start relying on me than we are fooked. Lets just wait for someone in the know how, and say for sure...........

Everyone i've spoken to about the FMIC's say that they make a difference, oh well maybe it's a good selling ploy??? Stick 50bhp in the advert and it'll sell more

I got mine because my old one was crumbling away, so thought i'd best get a nice new one, but this one gives better cooling aswell hopefully.

Also lets me set the boost to 1.3 bar safely on UK turbo's

I have heard people say that their EGT's drop slightly when a FMIC is fitted. My old stock SMIC I thought looked a mess for a 98 car, there was a curved surface of missing fins, and I thought that it pretty much matched that of a 94 car. But when my FMIC went on, my temps didnt really drop, they might have done ever so slightly. So I can only guess my SMIC was still functioning ok, either that or my FMIC isnt. Have you a EGT gauge fitted Paul ???

Hi Ash, no i havn't got any gauges as yet, maybe for xmas! I'm totally skint at the moment as i have to save for our holidays in July but will eventually get some :)

Like Chris says, the main reason i got one was because they look great, and help to keep the engine cooler :thumbs:

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

Come on guys, we're more of an enthusiast than to buy things just because they look good........arent we :(

huh - speak for yourself !! :p

ashley - your point about EGT's temps, could it be due to the fact that the fmic flow is blocking the rad and that somehow in turn isn't causing the expected drop in temps ? or is this total bollox ?

mine were running at 920 deg b4 the blowout. apparently this is a little high ? my sensor is pre-turbo ... :eek: :(

paul - an EGT gauge sooner rather than later isn't a bad idea especially if you want to turn the wick up more ......

Originally posted by Roy

huh - speak for yourself !! :p

ashley - your point about EGT's temps, could it be due to the fact that the fmic flow is blocking the rad and that somehow in turn isn't causing the expected drop in temps ? or is this total bollox ?

mine were running at 920 deg b4 the blowout. apparently this is a little high ? my sensor is pre-turbo ... :eek: :(

paul - an EGT gauge sooner rather than later isn't a bad idea especially if you want to turn the wick up more ......

The rad will control the temp of the engine water, nothing to do with air temps. My EGT is post turbo, and I can neve remember how much I have to add on for a rough estimate of what my true temps are, but when Im on the motorway doing aorund 90mph, my EGT reads 700, or just a smidge under. I now you dont want to reach the end of the 900's in terms of temps, as that is too hot.