The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Prices

BigT

Originally posted by CJ

If you honestly believe that every car that comes through the auction must be a duffer, then does that assume that all the J-specs on here are duffers? Where do you think these came from? And before someone tells me that they bought it from an importer and that he personally checks them all out prior to sending them over from Japan - then please wake up and smell the coffee! he buys them from the same sources that buy them on bloc and send them to our UK auction houses.

That's very inaccurate CJ. You need a good insight into the auction system in Japan. It's a whole lot different to the auctions in the UK.

Originally posted by ThunDeR

That's very inaccurate CJ. You need a good insight into the auction system in Japan. It's a whole lot different to the auctions in the UK.

then please enlighten me as I am only too willing to learn. Can you explain why a car that goes through a japanese auction then ends up at a UK auction is inferior to opne that gets bought directly from a japanese auction and goes straight to a customer?

Originally posted by CJ

So are you standing by your statement that all the J-spec cars on this BBS are duffers? Or are you saying that the ones that came through a UK auction are the duffers? :conf:

I never made the statement that all the J-Spec cars on this BBS are duffers. You made that assumption. The ones bought from Import specific auctions in the UK, usually in docks or nearby, are the duffers. Duffers in the sense they're a pile of crash damaged, clocked or stolen and / or any of these 3 crap.

I'm really not having a go at anyone CJ......... just offering first hand experience to help potential new members avoid buying a bad car. Purely advice, I don't need to prove anything and as such don't want to argue or fall out with people about this.

Originally posted by CJ

then please enlighten me as I am only too willing to learn. Can you explain why a car that goes through a japanese auction then ends up at a UK auction is inferior to opne that gets bought directly from a japanese auction and goes straight to a customer?

The auctions in Japan are government run affairs with independent engineers that examine, report and grade all vehicles prior to listing. The cars for sale in the UK Import specific auctions are the ones sold very cheaply at the Jap auctions because they are of poor grading due to accident damage, poor condition, high mileage or all of these things. Some of the cars are likely stolen and so don't first pass through the Jap auction system. The ones that did never show their grading when they reach the UK and any evidence as to mileage is destroyed / altered.

It's the cars at the import specific UK auctions that get Imports in the UK a bad name with journalists etc. as they are indeed largely dodgy. Buying an honest import means going directly to the source in Japan.

HTH,

Brian.

I dont wish to argue or fall out either but I think if you are giving advice out to prospective buyers then you should back that up with facts rather than opinion.

Once again I question the validity of your statement that ...

"The ones bought from Import specific auctions in the UK, usually in docks or nearby, are the duffers. Duffers in the sense they're a pile of crash damaged, clocked or stolen and / or any of these 3 crap".

That is quite a sweeping generalisation dont you think? Are we to assume that none of the imported cars on here came through any of the above channels? Do you honestly believe that? If not, (and I would be amazed if they did) would you still stick to your statement that they must be duffers?

I think that the car industry, as many others, has their bad guys and rogues but to offer the statement to newcomers that all the cars coming through the outlets mentioned above must be " a pile of crash damaged, clocked or stolen and / or any of these 3 crap" is, in my humble opinion, absolute tosh.

Guest cptsideways

I asked some questions about the source of the stock at Southampton, Jap trade buyers buy in the stock direct from the dealers when they are PX'd for new, I gather the PX value is just about nil in Japan for some cars they are shipped direct to the UK by these trade buyers in bulk, to wherever there is demand. They are all checked for theft, mine has the previous owners name & address supplied.

The car I bought this week has all its service stickers, but no other hitsory, I bought it on condition alone, which would be top class, it's had no bodywork done in its 8 year life. Its current UK retail value would be 6k I paid 2k + SVA.

About 20% of the cars are damaged I'd say, however this is mostly boat/shipping damage being small dents & little scrapes. About 5-10% of these are real shitters, ex drifters & the like or bazzed up boys toys.

Most of the cars are fairly genuine there was over 500 on sale this week alone!, so plenty to choose from.

These trade buyers will also ship job lots to individuals/traders in the UK at between 25-100 at a time. These may well be one type of car or a variety. I know someone that bought 50 as a job lot via this route.

Originally posted by Syed Shah

All the 'mint' cars or 99% of them are sold at the auctions in Japan. The rubbish that does not sell ends up at the docks, or in import compounds in Ireland, and 99% are rubbish.

So, are you saying that the "mint" cars that are sold at auction in Japan are already bought by people ready to put them on their forecourts?

So after the "mint" has been sold, what happens to the rest? Are all of the rest "duffers"? And, what % of the cars going through the auctions in Japan are "mint"?

What I cannot understand is what happens to the cars that are not bought prior to being shipped to the UK (of which this must be the majority). What happens to these cars? Are they kept at compounds waiting for buyers?

What do the larger Japanese companies like IBC do wit their stock?

Guest cptsideways

Not sure which Auctions you guys go to but the ones I've attended have been pretty well stocked with decent cars. May I point out that most of the shi**ers are bazzed up sports cars, so if thats what you are looking at then maybe thats what you'll find.

If anyone is about on Thursday I'll be A1 Auctions in Southampton.

I've been looking at the A1 catalogue the last couple of weeks since someone posted it. I've been trying to get down there but things keep popping up!

This Thursday I have my bike test, so I'm going to try the Monday one and just have a look. I'm not taking any money down, but wouldn't mind checking out the cars, to see what nick they are in.

We should have a group trip down. We could walk round looking at the cars and Thunder can slag them off, and CJ can defend them! :) We could have voting and polls, and live phone ins and maybe get some sort of TV show going

Guest cptsideways

Wait until June onwards more stock arriving, starting to run a bit low on numbers at the moment but also buyers are rather scarce too.

I went down to A1 auctions in Southampton at lunchtime today. They had hundreds of 4x4 things and three Supras. Two of those were rough, very rough and the only one that was in good nick appeared to be a N/A. (it was a 96 Facelift in Gunmetal but had 16'' Std wheels and 225/50/16 tyres)

AFAICS there was a grand total of 12 people there bidding. I would say that 80% of the cars going through were leaving the bidding area unsold.

We waited to see what price a Supras went for. A poor condition Silver '95 N/A that needed a new OSF wing (or a lot of filler) and repraying on both NSF wing and NSR wheel arch went for £4450. It conked out immediately after bidding had finished and to be pushed out.

Guest cptsideways

Two weeks ago there was about 8 Supra's available, as I said the stock is running low except for those poxy 4x4's.