The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU NGK spark plugs going cheap on ebay

Bob

Nah mate... still waiting. Hopefully they'll turn up at the start of the week.

Are these pre-gapped, or do we need to do this?? (how?)

As above, they don't come pre gapped. Use a set of feeler gauges and something solid to gap them.

Cheers,

Brian.

This post has shocked me. I've never till now realised how cheap Supra plugs could be. Whenever Ive scanned posts containing refs to plugs Ive always assumed the £11 / £18 bandied around was cost of one plug, not six....after all, considering the cost I've been charged for a new set of plugs for the last six years of MkIV ownership (ignorance on my part) I'd not made the connection between Supras and £2 plugs.

Use BKR7E's for BPU and if running up to 1.25bar boost, gap them to 0.9mm.

BKR7E's are not pre gapped, but the as they come the gap tends to be around 1mm.

^^ You need to buy a set of feeler gauges, they're not an expensive tool - £5 or £10 for a set. They look a bit like a swiss army knife in design, except you flick out thin slices of metal which are various thicknesses. One of these is usually 0.898mm which is what I use for the BPU Supra TT application.

To gap the plug, insert the feeler gauge in the end of the plug in the gap between the center electrode and the ground electrode. Center being where the spark jumps from and ground being where the spark jumps to. The feeler gauge should be a snug fit, just filling the gap between the two electrodes. If it moves freely when between them or quite loosely, remove the feeler gauge and lightly tap the ground electrode against another solid metal object to move it closer to the center electrode and keep checking the gap between them before repeating. If the gap gets really tight and you can barely get the feeler gauge back out, you've gone too far and in this situation you need to wedge the ground electrode back a little using the feeler gauge against the insulator surrounding the center electrode.

Repeat for all 6 plugs and fit as normal.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Brian.

Hm I allways imagined id be paying 80 odd quid for spark plugs. These are damn cheap! Are they iridium plugs? Are these plugs ok to drop in then?

No, they're not iridium and they don't need to be. Just change them every other oil service and you'll have no issues running normal NGK's of the correct heat grade so long as you gap them properly for your application.

For the millionth time, they need gapped! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brian.

Ok. Why are these suited for BPU? I thought that getting the colder spark plugs are why we got them for the upgrade. Thought Iridium was the coldest? My knowledge in this area is a bit limited as you can tell lol!

Have a read of the spark plug FAQ's in technical. You're confusing center electrode material with heat range.

These are one grade colder than stock, the same as you would go for if you wanted to buy iridium plugs for BPU application.

Cheers,

Brian.

My NGK's come today, All i need now is a FCD and a fuel pump and im away.

Mine came today also! :)

Now all I need to do is fit my fuel pump and either get my fcd to work or buy a new one! :)

Until then, I'll just have to take it easy with no boost or the horrible feeling of fuel cut will kick in!

I also gapped them while at work. It's not exactly an exact science is it?? It's a bit of.... "yeah.. that seems about right"... lol.