The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT transplant

dangerous brain

Day 1 of the transplant saga..

OM f'in G First impression is WTF have I bought here?? Looks like someone has dipped the engine in salt water:( Will post some photo's later. So far I have the entire remaining interior out. The dashboard was totalled. The plastic dash inserts are OK apart from the bit that goes around the dials which has 2 of the mounts sheared (someone asked me about these bits) The seats are OK but cloth so can't see anyone wanting them. (Oxy wants the seat motor). The carpets a bit stained but as I intend to dye it red thats not a problem. I have pulled out all the boxes and wiring looms that I could in the dash area. The doors were both mullered but I managed to get the window, window motor assy, central locking assy, wing mirror, and door handle off the drivers side and just the door handle off the drivers side.

The entire back subframe assy complete with rear suspension, diff, hubs with discs and calipers, and shocks all came off in a oner. The exhaust is a Jasma one with a dink in one of the pipes. I got the drive shafts off as well.

I am now at a point where I am unsure of how to proceed. I had the car booked into a garage to get the engine lifted out but the car is so mullered I really don't think it would have gone on their ramps. The engine mounts are sheared off in a left to right aspect (which is why the engine hadn't moved or the drive shaft or gearbox pushed backwards). I can't get the front subframe off in a oner like the rear as some of the mounts are obscured by mullered bits of bodywork. I Can't see splitting the gearbox and engine being easy as the two gearbox mounting bolts on the top look seriously hard to get to. At the moment the plan is to disc cut any crap off (ie subframe bits I can't get off by unbolting) unbolt the rest of the subframe whilst supporting the engine/gearbox assy and drop the lot onto a trolley. I will however try and take the suspension, brakes and hubsoff first to make for less bits to get in the way.

Incidentally the brakes are UK all round (I want the rears for myself) the front discs and pads look spankin new (apart from corrosion from sitting around for months)The passenger sides disc has been sat on the floor as the wheel was missing from that side.

Thats me finished for today more 2moro with some picyures.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right engine and gearbox assy is out (the neighbours are not happy I was still smackin 3 shades out of one of the No 1 cat to downpipe mounting nuts that had siezed at 10 O clock). Its a heavy bit of kit cos it bent the lifting hoist:eek:

Having had a cursory look at it the sump is well smacked in from the front (Does anyone know if there is anything in that front section of sump that might be mullered?). The biggest problem however is the alternator mounting bracket on the engine block casting has sheared off. I am hoping that this can be repaired somehow but I am buggered if I know how as I am positive that Cast Iron cannot be welded?????

I will have a bit of a sort out 2moro and get some pictures on.

Yeah well thats an inline 6 and you have practice. If ya fancy rippin my omega apart in that time frame let me know. On an aside as This engine has had an impact accident would it be worth having someone like dude open it up and have a look? I can bring it to brighton in me trailer if needs be! If whilst its open it would be financialy viable to put extra bits that make t go faster in then that may be a consideration:p

looks well gone. going to take loads of work to get that sorted. i would have walked away from that. whats it going to be like when you open it up. nice project for you though.

get a drill with wire brush on it and clean it up, air pressure hose will be good for getting into nooks and crannies. i would get it on pallet and strip it down so you can see more of it and get to know where everything goes.

saying that i would not mind messing about on it as i have nothing to do.

keep us updated

Yeah further inspection of said engine has me deciding to look for another engine. There is a bracket gone on the other side as well and the power steering pump and other ancilliaries that are damaged are not the same as on the N/A so I am not gonna use this lump. I am however using the back end subframe with LSD and the manual transmission which I will be fitting this weekend if I can. So all is not lost I will still have the only 6 speed manual aero in the country:D

The costs were what was stopping me going down the supercharger route. I just could not afford to shell out 7 grand for a supercharger setup. So far I have spent £1600 for the manual transmission,rear suspension subframe with LSD, prop shafts, rear UK brakes, the engine ECU setup and looms, and a 6 speed getrag box. I have other bits I can sell as well.

Nah it wasnt on ebay at that price. It sat unbid for 1595. I am a bit pissed that the engine isn't what I wanted but I can't complain as I got most of the stuff I need. All I now need is the engine and ancilliary setup and I am away. Sooner I sell the extra bits sooner i have the funds to buy an engine.