The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Totb

Sharpie

I agree that TOTB is now a total farce.

I think the rule of thumb should be that when you reach the end of the runway, if you were (hypothetically) stopped by the old bill, your car would pass their inspection and be deemed to be 'road legal'.

As they said on the DVD's when they started TOTB a few years ago, it's an event to find the fastest 'street legal' car in the UK.

If it ain't street legal on the day, how can they claim to have won fairly?

To me its simple

Privateer class - no race fuel, pure road legal, no nos, no silly gear box's, no transplant engines, original body etc etc just pure and simple the car as its meant to be thats been tuned and down to the drivers ability.

Pro class - any of the above but original chassis's etc

Mike

I think banning NOS and Race fuel from the privateers would be wrong. Some people use NOS regularly on the road. And the racefuel is can be viewed as a safety thing as well as a performance thing...however with the BP102 available it might not be needed now (if you're willing to pay).

I think banning NOS and Race fuel from the privateers would be wrong. Some people use NOS regularly on the road. And the racefuel is can be viewed as a safety thing as well as a performance thing...however with the BP102 available it might not be needed now (if you're willing to pay).

its not that i dont agree with NOS/Racefuel as i would want to use it myself but then again what i feel has happened is that one thing leeds to another and it just goes on the slippery road again!!

also i dont know many people who regularly use NOS or racefuel on the road? would a car pass an MOT running NOS, race fuel or MT radials? (genuine question)

TBH this year i have not heard one good comment about TOTB and how the cars are run/entered and the spectator viewing and safety etc :(

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I don't resent the big pro cars I'm all for it but the events need to be better defined.

My feeling is that there should be two simple categories.

1. Pro Tuner

2. Amateur Street

How you define those would be tricky.

I drove all the f*cking way to TOTB in my Supe, thrashed it consistently then drove home as I also do when I go to and from Santa Pod in my DOT marked MT's which have also passed an MOT. Then drove it to work on Monday.

The fact is that it is all about money. Most of us are never going to be able afford to invest £100,000 to run a pro car. My aim has alway been to do the best I can with what I can afford - ie running 11.82 on stock turbos! I agree with Justin in that we need separate classes to split the Pro Tuners from the average guy - a bit like the classes at the Jap Show at Santa Pod where you have the Pro class and the RWYB classes for the rest of us.

I think it is fantastic to see cars that are technically 'street legal' running 8's/9's - but the issue is how to you define 'street legal'? In the Street Eliminator class in Drag Racing (previously Custom Car Street Eliminator) they have some simple rules. The only legal fuel is pump gas (although octane booster is allowed), the only legal tyres are Hoosier Quick Times or Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pros, and everyone has to complete a cruise on the open roads that includes filling up on pump gas and completing up to five hot starts…and no external assistance. There are no changes allowed between the cruise and the race beyond fresh plugs and the odd valve spring.

This gets away from the 'trailer queens' which while road legal are never driven on the street. The current quickest car is a Vauxhall Victor with a big V8 with twin turbo's producing 1600bhp. It has run 7.8secs @ 170mph on pump gas and street tyres! There are Supra's in the US that are running suimilar times but I don't know if you could go down to Tesco's in one!

SimonP