The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garages in the Southend/Essex area

Golddigga

Guest Chumpalot

For the record, I took the car to TDI and they listened to the wheel noise, they said it was the wheel bearing and the whole lot needed replacing (to the tune of almost £500 inc. labour).

I'm not convinced that's actually the problem and would really like a second opinion.

Guest Chumpalot

I've had the car off the ground and there is absolutely no play in the wheel at all in any direction. I also heard that when a wheel bearing goes you normally get a whooing sort of noise whilst driving, mine is just sqeaking and scraping.

Guest Chumpalot

see that's weird. I heard that it was really easy to tell if there was any sort of play in the wheel bearing.

Have just emailed Engine Advantages so I'll see what they say and when they can fit me in :)

Fancy coming round to look at my 'tapping' noise Steve and sorting out my speedo problem?! :rlol:

I've had the car off the ground and there is absolutely no play in the wheel at all in any direction. I also heard that when a wheel bearing goes you normally get a whooing sort of noise whilst driving, mine is just sqeaking and scraping.

Yeah woohing is a symptom of bearing.

Squeaking could well be your pad wear indicator.

Could be just one pad face wearing slightly more than another so have a good look with a torch. ie. Outer pad may look ok but inner may have worn a little faster.

Take the wheel of an inspect the little tag that's part of the anti-squeal shim it comes into contact with the disc face as pads start getting close to wearing out.

If discs are worn and corrosion build up on edges may make noises even more prematurely.

see that's weird. I heard that it was really easy to tell if there was any sort of play in the wheel bearing.

Have just emailed Engine Advantages so I'll see what they say and when they can fit me in :)

Fancy coming round to look at my 'tapping' noise Steve and sorting out my speedo problem?! :rlol:

I'll look at them but won't listen........:p

I'd expect depending on how nackered the bearing is would determine how noticable the play is.