The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Iffy' Steering

lust2luv

Okay, bear in mind, when it comes to cars, I'm not at all technically minded...

My problem occurred a few weeks ago, I was driving along when I inadvertantly failed to avoid a pothole and heard a bang (I have no idea if this is 'cause and effect' with my problem or not).   Immediately my steering seemed decided loose, with quite a dead-spot in the middle and requiring seemingly more rotation to turn a set amount.  'Spongey' is probably a good description.  In fact it was so bad that I pulled over and gave things a quick check over.  Not finding anything obviously amiss I began to wonder if it was all in my mind and that maybe my Sup never really handled *that* crisply.  I took it to my local Toyota dealer where a mechanic testdriving it said it did feel weird (he alikened it to driving a 4x4), although they couldn't find anything wrong with the steering fluid, column or rack and the sales manager who also took it out thought it felt okay (they didn't charge me a penny BTW!)  I'm still not convinced.

So, anybody, any ideas?  A problem with the suspension?  Is the tracking off?  A problem with the speed sensitive power steering?

Any help gratefully received!

Perhaps you have bent something slightly after hitting the pot-hole. It's easily done. What I would do is have a full geometry check.

You will probably find your tracking is quite a bit out. Though do not be tempted to have just a tracking check. You need a full 4-wheel alignment performed by people who know what they are doing.

I am sure there will be a member who can reco someone close to you.

Yours,

J  

Thanks for the advice.

I forgot to mention the car doesn't pull to either side at all if I take my hands off the wheel.

The number of potholes and speed bumps in my area combined with the stiffness of my suspension, I wouldn't be surprised if something had been bent.

Anyone recommend someplace reliable to go for a geometry check?  I'm in North Wiltshire.  Also any idea what something like that would set you back?  Money's a bit tight at the moment.

Cheers

I would also suggest that you photo the pothole pretty sharpish.

It's definately worth having a stab at the council in question to compensate you for any damage.

I know that sounds a bit "Claims Direct" litigious, but then again how much a year do you pay in road tax, petrol tax. Enough to ensure that our roads are safe to drive on witout damaging our vehicles, I would suggest.

Apparently the council can only be sued if they "haven't surveyed the road correctly", whatever that means.  So if they've sent some navvy out in a bright yellow jacket to peer at this enormous crater and go "That looks really dangerous", they have still fulfilled their responsibilities to the road user, even if they haven't axctually DONE anything!