The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OBDII VVTI car TRAC

Guest Ash

Would an owner of a VVTI car please give me a rundown of the TRAC operation.

I need to know, please, which light(s) flash and when (if any). At what point does the car cut power - does it cut power in stages, or all at once? Plus any other TRAC info you think may be useful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Yours,

J

From what I remember (I always turn it off) it's very similar to the TRAC on the non VVT-i, or at least the 93 auto I had.

There's two modes, TRAC and SNOW.

When traction is lost the orange light flashes (picture of a skidding car) and power is limited.  It's more subtle than the non VVT-i, power isn't suddenly cut but reduced in a on-off fashion.  Similer to braking really, rather than slamming on it's like pumping the brakes.

If you *really* break away the rear end it goes into Snow mode and power is greatly reduced.  I don't think you can take it above 2000/3000rpm.

I'll take it out this afternoon and give you a proper description.

(Edited by Nick at 12:57 pm on Oct. 20, 2001)

Can't really add too much to what Nick has said.

It can enter snow mode either pulling away from a standing start or whilst already moving.

The operation of the TRAC appears to be progressive, sometimes I have seen the light flash and only noticed the slightest drop in power, other times the power drop is more dramatic.

Hope this helps.

Foggy

That's a great help guys. Thank you.

If you could please put the car in some specific circumstances and let me know the results of the TRAC response that would be great.

I have an owner at the moment whose TRAC I think has a major problem. I was driving the car at the weekend after fitting a boost controller; generally throwing the thing about, hanging out the rear, and so forth, and it suddenly occured to me... wait a minute, shouldn't we be getting some TRAC input? Shouldn't a light flash, or power be cut, or something?

Hence my post.

It's the same car that was the subject of another thread where I had to spend ages putting the wiring back to stock. Because it would switch into Snow Mode almost immediately the car was driven.

The owner called me today after the car had virtually shut down. It wouldn't go above about 1500 rpm. I talked him through pulling the ECU fuses which made it okay (for now).

Problem is, he's a real nice guy and he has paid £23,000 for this car and it has given him no end of trouble virtually since the day he bought it. There's no money in it for me as I'm darned well going to sort it on principle.

So any input you can give that will help me compare his car to yours will be gratefully received.

Yours,

J

"Any" loss of traction, accelerating over an uneven surface or just a few loose chippings for example, seems to make the "skidding car" light flash and TRAC cut in, albeit not necessarily to any great  extent.

If you were throwing the car about I would expect the dashboard to be doing a fairly respectable impression of Blackpool Illuminations.

Foggy