The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Induction kits

Syed Shah

I don't want to dig up this old debate but:

Once the stock air box is removed you loose the ability to draw in ambient temperature air.  You will notice the loss in hot weather. So power gains will be academic, and power loss is more likely. You will notice the loss in hot weather.

IMO most people go for and induction kit for the sound not for performance increase.

I have the  HKS mushroom it is good and lets all the right noises out and it is very easy to fit yourself:biggrin: .

Quote: from Syed Shah on 1:44 pm on Oct. 24, 2001[br]I thought that you gained around 15bhp?

And, if i fitted it near the intercooler or got some ram-pipes, could I stop this happening?

Thanks

If you check through search on induction kits or ambient air. you will find loads  of discussion on this.

The 15 bhp you mention is theoretical. If you had ambient air under the bonnet it may  be the case. The stock air box suck in ambient air. Under bonnet systems draw in very  hot air. Just feel the temperature of the air being blown about by the fan after a run. With the bonnet down it will be much hotter.

Turbo engines are about stuffing as much air in to the combustion chamber as  possible. Cold air is more dense than hot air so you get more air in the cylinder when it is cold, hence intercoolers.

On the track, when I pull out my headlamp to get ambient air into the filter,  I can feel the difference.

Re-rooting the system is very  difficult see the threads I referred to earlier.

I don’t know anything about the new type of filters/induction kits. The problem with the supra is there is no where to get the air in without cutting into the body work, this is not a problem on many other cars.

Syed, if you want sound AND power gain then you need to fit the HKS mushroom filter in the space where the stock intercooler would normally sit. Fitting it under the bonnet obviously muffles the sound and reduces power (under certain conditions).

You obviously need to clear the space for the air-filter. Which means the fitment of an FMIC. Unfortunately, the FMIC fitments I have seen, suggest that the stock expansion tank be fitted in the space normally occupied by the stock intercooler. So if you do that, there won't be room for the HKS mushroom filter.

I developed a cool-air/maximum noise intake system complete with electric fan conversion and a properly-placed and sized expansion tank, many moons ago.

If you speak to Justin, he'll let you in on the details. The system is fitted to his car.  

Yours,

J