The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Snapped timing belt :(

Guest Draven

Guest Draven

thanks for the offer on the pulley.. I ended up getting one new from toyota.

As well as that large chunk that was missing, there were several shallow gouges taken out of some of the other teeth. All timing covers were in place - I think I was just particularly unlucky.

And yeah, pickup might not have been a good option for me :)

all going well I should be able to have her up and running tomorrow

Guest Draven

Additonally - can you guys offer any advice on how to torque up the crank pulley bolt?

I don't have the required SST, no access to a rattlegun till saturday, and the clutch isn't holding it still enough for me to put any decent (200+nm) torque into it!

have you guys used locktite on it before? results?

Additonally - can you guys offer any advice on how to torque up the crank pulley bolt?

I don't have the required SST, no access to a rattlegun till saturday, and the clutch isn't holding it still enough for me to put any decent (200+nm) torque into it!

have you guys used locktite on it before? results?

Don't confuse Loctiting a bolt in with torquing it up properly. A Loctited bolt won't fall out but it won't exert much clamp load either.

You'll have to find a way of locking up the cranktrain while you torque it up properly, I'm afraid.

Guest gzaerojon
Don't confuse Loctiting a bolt in with torquing it up properly. A Loctited bolt won't fall out but it won't exert much clamp load either.

You'll have to find a way of locking up the cranktrain while you torque it up properly, I'm afraid.

the best way is just to do it up with an airgun, its pretty hard to lock it off properly anyway without the propper tool. just a few judders on the air gun and it should be good to go imo

Even though the engine is non interference does not mean it cannot be damaged if the belt lets go at high boost/high rpm and valves are out of timing . may be ok if it happens at start up or idle but I for one am never that lucky

How so? If the piston clears the valves when the piston is at TDC and the valves are at max lift then it should be OK.

Valves can hit valves if the timing goes, but I would have thought this was pretty unlikely.

I thought it was pretty widely accepted that the 2JZ was non interference through and through.

Guest Draven

the method decided upon is to take off the starter motor and lodge something in the ring gear, followed by swearing at it a lot.

I think he'll need it delivered....and it won't cost £5!

Wow, alex, your impressive skills are increasing daily, you are now able to think AND reply on behalf of other people. I bow in your aura :rolleyes:

I would hazard a guess that jake whacked the fiver on to cover the postage and a beer for himself for having to go to the post office (which is difficult for some of us). It may also have just been because he didn't know how much it would cost and overestimated.

Your interpersonal skills continue to astound me.

Lewis

I would hazard a guess that jake whacked the fiver on to cover the postage and a beer for himself for having to go to the post office (which is difficult for some of us). It may also have just been because he didn't know how much it would cost and overestimated.

LOL, think Alex is just better at reading previous posts, will cost more than a fiver as Draven does not live in the UK and at a wild guess (going on avatar) he's in OZ.

I'll put away my deer stalker and pipe now :D

LOL, think Alex is just better at reading previous posts, will cost more than a fiver as Draven does not live in the UK and at a wild guess (going on avatar) he's in OZ.

I'll put away my deer stalker and pipe now :D

ahhhhhhh, oops! lol

Apologies Alex, I jumped to conclusions. I hang my head in shame while dipping my testicles in boiling fat for your amusement :)

Guest Draven

Alex is right - it's thousands of miles to this little backwater :p

And, when choosing an avatar, how could I possibly refuse Paul Hogan, the international ambassador of Australia? :)

The reason I said it can cause damage is not due a contact problem valves against piston but a pressure problem if boost is applied with pistons/valves out of sequence the pistons will not stop dead at the time of the belt snapping and still compress, the boost pressure will also not instantly drop to zero with this odd combination the pressure must go somewhere via rings or head gasket? ,the ignition system will not know instantly that the timing belt is snapped so as long as the engine is still rotating it will still fire the plugs but totally out of sequence this is a very bizarre sequence of events and happens very fast,god knows what the shock loads do on the crank. if the engine was NA then it would be ok as the piston can only suck via the valves and cannot be on compression/up stroke with incoming pressure.this is my theory and I am frequently proved wrong:)