The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Poorly VVTi

Justin Fogden

It ticks over, but nothing else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Got in the car this morning, it started without any problems, pulled off the drive and realised that however hard I pushed the throttle it was still just ticking over.

Managed to get back on the drive but I can't see anything obviously wrong, the throttle cable appears OK, no warning lights on the dash, nothing seems to have dropped off.

It's a '98 manual VVti TT.

Thanks.

Foggy

Had a similar problem on a V6 Mondeo, it was the traction control stuck on, the motor had seized and it wouldn't let me apply any throttle.

It doesn't work quite the same way on a Supra but you could try pulling the TRAC fuse to see if it makes a difference.

Cheers,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I agree about the water Adam, although I think I can rule out a jammed throttle cable Alex.  With the bonnet open I could see the throttle mechanism moving while I pressed the pedal.

I guess the traction control must be at the root of the problem, the only doubt in my mind is that I read on another thread some time ago that the motor was self sensing and I would have expected to see a warning light on the dash.

Hope that now it's done it once it has got it out of its' system, because I can see it being a right PITA to track down as an intermittent problem.

Foggy

Foggy...... the VVTI car has a system whereby the throttle butterfly operation can be completely taken over by the engine management sytem. In other words, you can press all you like on the go pedal, and nothing will happen.

The early car had a normal throttle butterfly and what Toyota called a pre-throttle butterfly valve just ahead of it. But the VVTI has just one throttle butterfly.

There should be a record of what caused the fault in the OBDII diagnostics system. It might be an idea to pop along to a dealer in order to find out the number of the fault code.

Yours,

J