The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra or skyline honest opinions required

celica500plus

I love both and nearly owned one of each a year ago. When i have a family i think i'll get a Skyline too as there's just more room in the back.

I'm sure i've read of cars on Supraforums in the US who are running stock internals on 1000bhp cars. Obviously these aren't gonna be everyday drives :D

As others have said, test drive both. It's gonna be a hard decision but it's the only way.

I had to make the same choice between Supra and Skyline, I drove both but I have to admit my final decision went to the looks alone. I was lucky to have the two cars sat next to each other and for me the Supra won by a mile.

Thanks, I think my next move will be to find an import garage close to me and go have a look and possibley try and get a test drive of both. Without driving any my decision is with the supra purely going on the advice so far and the reliability the supra has. Have to see how I get on this tuesday with the mapper, and try not to fall back in love with the car. Its hard to let go of it when I know the engine inside out and I know how much has been spent and I havent had a chance to enjoy the fruits of my labour! Hope to move on soon!

I think your mad to get rid of the Celica.. looks like a real nice tool and a break from the norm.

Agreed on the weather coment too ..You have a car there that during the winter would wipe the floor with a supra and I think a liner too TBH, for one yours is lighter.

Also remeber that if you have the tuning bug ..Both the liner and the supra are not cheap to tune reliably. For staters you have 2 more cyls. The supra is a very sturdy unit and cost of tuning them are coming down, but from the looks of your celica you dont like to cut corners.

Thanks,

I have never had the car against supra's so I cant compare acceleration or cornering. As you say the celica still handles like a dream in the wet compared to a rear whell drive. I could probably garauntee within a month of owning the supra i'd begin buying bits and the visious cycle would start all over.Really finding it difficult to leave the celica, i've had 2 serious £10000 offers and everyone that phones I do my damndest to put them off wanting to buy it. I think after its mapped I will end up not wanting to let go.

Thanks I priced it to sell and im getting the offers to buy it, but I feel its to low a price considering the engine is only being run in and everything apart from the crank and rods is brand new and the crank and rods have only covered 5000miles. Just a bit unsure what to do now, this car has taken 8months of my time and wages, thats why id rather swap for someone elses pride and joy rather than let it go for a price 1/3 of it value!

Thanks,

I have never had the car against supra's so I cant compare acceleration or cornering. As you say the celica still handles like a dream in the wet compared to a rear whell drive. I could probably garauntee within a month of owning the supra i'd begin buying bits and the visious cycle would start all over.Really finding it difficult to leave the celica, i've had 2 serious £10000 offers and everyone that phones I do my damndest to put them off wanting to buy it. I think after its mapped I will end up not wanting to let go.

Keep it mate and join up here anyway....you sound like an enthusiast so would be good to have on board :)

Thanks I'm going to join, its probably the best forum i've been on for advice and friendly chat. You tend to get frozen out when you go to other forums and have a car not dedicated to the forum, but i've had plenty of advice from you guys and everyone is friendly. So big thanks for making me welcome, i'll be on loads more now. :)

I think I'd definately be tempted to keep hold of the Celica, it's one of those cars you'll regret selling down the line.

Don't get me wrong here the Supra is an amazing machine but with the Celica you have, in that state of tune, it will cost a lot to get a Supra to give you the same smiles...

Anyway I hope you manage to make the difficult choice, welcome to the forum.