The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1/4 mile times for auto vrs manual

supraaaaaaaaaa

I launch my auto from 2000rpm in a race situation :shrug:

May sound stupid Jake but how do you launch the auto? as in techneque This is my first auto car, is it just a case of foot on the brake, rise to 2000rpm and then let off as you press the accelerator?

i cant see how an Auto would be faster,

im not doubting you guys,im just thinking could there be some mistake ? im sure human gear changing would be much better under race conditions.

yeah but the gear change on an auto is only .3 secs on a standard box who the hell can change that fast takes me longer than that to even think about changing !! and uprated boxes 0.15 sec !!!! dear me thats fast as hell :p

to be honest ive never driven an auto,. been in me dads auto as passenger tho :)

forgive me for being fick, but.,

when the auto changes gear,.does it do it at the optimum moment at max power ?

and if so,.does this mean that on everday normal driving,. say round town etc,. every time it shifts gear for you is it shifting at max power ,. the optimum time,.. OR ,. does it change ata point thats more beneficial to fuel consumption ?

hence me asking "under race conditions"

May sound stupid Jake but how do you launch the auto? as in techneque This is my first auto car, is it just a case of foot on the brake, rise to 2000rpm and then let off as you press the accelerator?

Pull upto the line. Left foot on the brake, put car in D, the gently rev and hold the revs at 2000 rpm. When the lights go green, foot off brake and stomp on the accelerator pedal hard :)

Dont do for more than say 5 seconds or you'll cook the auto fluid..

As said what I dont get is how the manual 0-60 is faster on paper than the auto. Yet ppl reckon the auto is quicker on the strip.

The 0-60 time listed by the manufacturer/Parkers etc-Was this taken by just keeping the auto in auto or in L-2-3-4?

And was the manual tested by race drivers using flatshifting??;)

And whas the auto tested with the trac fuse removed using manual mode ect ect ???? ;)

Where they UK times or tested with jspecs and cheated lol :p

Or where they both just pulled out from the factory and tested by a real world person in total stock layout..Who knows.

Corvette tried this on this year with their new machine. Quoted all these mad times for 0-60 and not one of the auto mags could get it to come close. Until they were taught a few tricks on how the factory tested it.

well independant testing quotes an achievable 4.6s 0-60 for the stock manual doesn't it? Guess they can't all be wildly unfeasible. But I suspect repeatability has a lot to do with it. Probably something like

auto:

run #1 - 5.3s

run #2 - 5.4s

run #3 - 5.3s

run #n - 5.3s

time = 5.3s

manual

run #1 - 6.5s

run #2 - 6.3s

run #3 - 6.5s

run #n - 4.9s

time = 4.9s

and this is probably what a lot of people experience on the strip, leading to the feeling that the auto is quicker. Stock manuals have clocked into the 8s 1/4, so at our general level it's not really likely to be holding us back.

*numbers here are purely for illustration of course...