The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flashing Warning Triangle

lust2luv

I've moved this from the petrol thread since it no longer concerns petrol.

Basically I pulled my EFI 1 fuse in order to reset my ECU when I upgraded from regular unleaded to Optimax.   Since doing so I've noticed when hitting around 100 the red warning triangle within the speedo starts to flash and above around 115 it stays lit (yes, my handbrake was off!)  My car is still delimited and this never ever happened before.

General concensus seems to be this shouldn't happen even with a speed limited car?  (i.e. it's not a recognised feature)

So what's up?

How can I fix it?

And if a fix ain't easy or cheap, any problems with me just living with it (since it isn't a major nuisance)?

Any help, as always, gratefully received.

Cheers

Do you know exactly *how* your car has been delimited?

Blitz / HKS SLD?

Other "clamped" speed signal into ECU (a'la new PB unit)?

5/8 divided speed signal into ECU (a'la JIC)?

Seems like too much of a coincidence that it is happening at about 180kph for it *not* to be something to do with the delimiter.

Is it just the triangle that comes on or are any of the other lights on? Does your car have an active spoiler (yes they do exist on NA's too), does the power steering seem to be different? Since all these are speed related might help track it down.

I don't know why this has become apparent once the ECU has been reset. I think the safest bet would be to find out what the error code is it's reporting. You mentioned in the other thread the 30 was upside down, strangely these were like this on my NA and are on the TT. But you should have a EFI2 fuse which sits next to the EFI1. Don't exactly know what it does but i think you're supposed to do both.

Have a look here for a piccy. Bit big to put on the thread, or go look for the tiny picture martin posted last time.

Yes I figure it's got to be something to do with the speed limiter.

I have no idea how my car was delimited, but I didn't buy it from JIC and I suspect it may have been done in Japan.

I've noticed no other lights coming on.  Yes, I do have an active spoiler.  I haven't yet rechecked what speed it operates at since pulling the fuse, although before it was at the correctly converted speed, i.e. 90kph, not 90mph.

How would I find out an error code?  Would I have to take it to my local Toyota garage?  It's just it's hard describing a problem that doesn't occur until you're doing a tonne!

Yeah, the 30 is upside down, but so is one of the 7.5s, so I guessed it must be intentional.   For some reason I don't have an EFI 2.

If everything was fine before, I don't see how much could have changed.

Still perplexed.  So no-one's experienced a speed limited Supe which had the warning light flicker when approaching the limit, as a feature rather than a fault?  If the power is cut at 180kph I thought it might make sense for the car to pre-warn you of that.

Hmm, the only fault I know of that causes the warning light to be on with no obvious other lights is the active spoiler. Does it come down properly if you press the down button?

When you say you don't have the EFI2 fuse is your layout different to mine (as in the picture) or is there no fuse there? If there's no fuse then i'd get one sharpish as I believe thats the one that allows the ECU to hold it's error codes.

You don't have to go to toyota to get the diagnostic code, there's a technique to get the error codes flashed on the O/D off bulb (Err I presume a manual has this as well then?). I'm sorry I don't recall the exactly procedure but it is around somewhere else on the bbs and I believe i've seen it on MKIV.com.

Again I don't really know how the speed limiter works (since my NA was divided I never hit it) like the majority of the others on this BBS.

OOoo, you may have hit the nail on the head here.   My active spoiler manual down button worked when I bought the car, but after having my Clifford fitted it no longer worked.  Since the spoiler continued working at speed, I didn't bother following it up.  I guess this is the first time the ECU has been reset since then, since the battery hasn't been disconnected for any reason, so maybe that's why it's registering.  Come to think of it, I've no real way of knowing the spoiler is actually deploying, I'm just assuming it is when the light lights up.

Anyone have a theory on what the alarm fitters may have done to my car?  And what I can do to reactivate it?

Thanks for the continued help Gareth.

you can get the spoiler to deploy when the car is stationary but switching the ignition on, (engine OFF), and pressing the "manual down" button.     I think that's how you do it.      this feature is there so you can clean the active spoiler. (The spoiler will retract again when the engine is started)

This won't tell you if it's deploying at speed, but certainly if it ain't moving when stationary then it probably won't be coming out at speed.  

Either try the above OR get a mate to drive along in convoy and tell you if the spoiler comes out aboe 60 or 65mph.

Well the 'manual down' button doesn't work, I know that, but I managed to go out and test it lunchtime and I'm convinced my spoiler is still deploying at speed.  Lacking a 2nd car or a willing volunteer to  come out and crouch by the side of a road while I drove by at high speed, I came up with the (I think) ingenious solutions of taping a thin strip of paper across the front spoiler and then taking her above 60.  After doing so I pulled over and the paper was still attached both ends but had ripped in the middle, which is good enough evidence to me.

So my spoiler is still working as intended, deploying 3 secs after hitting 60 or at 90 and the deactivate button works, so it's just the 'manual down' button that isn't working.   As this looks like being the most likely cause of my warning triangle, anybody have any  thoughts on how to fix it?

Cheers