• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Terry S

You woulda been OK if it was Paul Laing

Get some more miles on it and do a leakdown test.

what oil are you using?

I've only just run it in!

600miles since the rebuild. I hope it doesn't have leakdown/compression problems!

Let's hope it did a decent portion of that on mineral oil to let the rings bed properly....

550 miles on Dynosaur-lube

No compression check at that point? I'd be expecting around 180psi on each cylinder with minimal difference between cylinders, assuming it's still at C.R. of 8.5:1 on a recently rebuilt and run in engine.

Have you noticed any oil spatter on your drive whilst the car is running since you decatted it?

No compression check done yet.

CR is stock

I didn't notice any oil spatter since I decatted but I've only driven the once since then. What are you getting at? You mean from the exhaust, right?

Yep... getting at rings not bedded in properly Jake. You'd expect all to be well with a recently rebuilt engine but best to get peace of mind by doing at least a compression test.

Cheers,

Brian.

So the std ECU is running the VVT-i and ancillaries, and the Motec is running the engine? Where's the boost controller come in? Not being funny, just don't understand why you'd have a boost controller, and a Motec.

If you're going to get it remapped, might be worth trading in the M600 for a M800 if it's within budget, so the Motec can control the VVT-i too.

Guest Terry S
We didn't touch the engine at all, that was all done by Tuning Japanese mate.

Yeah I assumed that Paul as I spoke with Mike after the car left yours and he was on stock internals then.

So the std ECU is running the VVT-i and ancillaries, and the Motec is running the engine? Where's the boost controller come in? Not being funny, just don't understand why you'd have a boost controller, and a Motec.

Do folks with a Motec usually not have a standalone boost controller then? I'm pretty sure Chris Webley has a seperate BC too.

If you had the Motec controlling the boost how would you swap between different boost settings?

Jake, Looking at the sheets how come the runs were done in fourth gear?
They weren't, it was done in 5th. I don't know it says that on the sheets.

Do folks with a Motec usually not have a standalone boost controller then? I'm pretty sure Chris Webley has a seperate BC too.

If you had the Motec controlling the boost how would you swap between different boost settings?

I don't know, just thought the idea of getting a unit like a Motec was so you can get the engine mapped properly without any extra piggy back electronics?

Jake - I would defo get it checked out prop if TJ did the work. They are round the corner from me and I've heard several different people say bad things about them. Ok for RR-ing (albeit if the torque does seem to come up a bit low compared to others) as I went in my scoob but wouldn't use them for much else. Sounds like they are being really cooperative too - which again isn't much of a surprise............

Once a leakdown test has been done I'd....

Firstly I'd take the car and the dyno sheets to TJ...I'd also take examples of similarly specced Supra's (like Ian's and Terry's) and ask them why there is such a large discrepancy.

If they come up with a suitable answer like yes we did a quick map whilst the engine was bedding in etc and we want to finish the job now, I might be inclined to let them do it on the proviso that you'll pay on deliver of a fully featured and proven map.

If they are unwilling/ awkward I'd say flatten the unit. It won't take a decent mapper long to work it out and Owen have VVTi/MoTeC experience, it shouldn't take more than 8hrs total to map.

As for using the MoTeC's BC function....is it easy to switch boost levels? If so it might be a good idea.

Have you not got to fire up the laptop everytime you want to change boost if you let the MoTeC control it ???

I am fairly certain that is the case. Mine is controlled by the Motec at the moment and I was told by unofficial sources that I would need to either hook up to change it or use an external BC. It would be best to check with Owen or Dave Rowe on this.

If they are unwilling/ awkward I'd say flatten the unit. It won't take a decent mapper long to work it out and Owen have VVTi/MoTeC experience, it shouldn't take more than 8hrs total to map.

I agree with Alex on this. I would just take it to Owen to have it done from scratch. You could very well end up doing 8 hours or more having it looked at and remapped at Tuning crapanese. You will probably end up saving yourself lots of time, money and heartache. ;)