The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how do u dyno auto supra

eyefi

yeah, ive read this but it isnt very clear for autos.

it says "disable o/d, bring the car to 4krpm in 3rd gear SLOWLY, and floor it to redline."

disable o/d - OK this makes sense.

while bringing it to 4000 rpm in 3rd slowly its going to be difficult to stop it changing in to 4th ?

if u bring the car to 4000 rpm in 3rd it will just kickdown when u floor it, thus spikey curve ?

i cant see a way around it changing down when u floor it. is this the way it has to be done then

Guest Martin F
Quote: from eyefi on 2:57 pm on Oct. 29, 2001[br]yeah, ive read this but it isnt very clear for autos.

it says "disable o/d, bring the car to 4krpm in 3rd gear SLOWLY, and floor it to redline."

disable o/d - OK this makes sense.

while bringing it to 4000 rpm in 3rd slowly its going to be difficult to stop it changing in to 4th ?

if u bring the car to 4000 rpm in 3rd it will just kickdown when u floor it, thus spikey curve ?

i cant see a way around it changing down when u floor it. is this the way it has to be done then

Shouldn't kick down or change up if you switch it into 'Manu' mode.

But you can't manually select fourth without disabling the manu-u mode, but then it should change up. Personally I found the auto box a real kick in the teeth at bentwaters, as without engine braking the brakes took a real pounding (more than a manual would).

I've got mine on a dyno this saturday, hopefully it will allow me to properly configure the fuel controller. Hopefully the box shouldn't be too much of a hinderance. Keep us posted EyeFi.

Guest Martin F

Put it in 'Manu' as you drive to the dyno!!!!

:biggrin:

Doesn't really matter, but do it before you start  accelerating.

Eyefi - Have you never used Manual mode in your Supe ?? If not then you really are missing out on some extra performance.

Guest Martin F

Stronger acceleration, lower 0-60 times, Engine breaking, more control over the car's gearing, just to name a few!!!!!!!!!!

Give it a go on your favourite route, but just watch that rev-limiter!!

Ok now i'm confused, the manu mode lets you change gear manually but why does that have any affect on power / 0-60 etc? When you floor the auto it just runs to the run line and changes gear. Or is it a case that running to the red-line isn't what you should be aiming for? I've never felt it changed faster in manu mode than when it was doing it in fully automatic.

Granted I should have used manu mode for engine braking, but since the primary benefit of an auto box is not having to pi55 about with the gears round the corners surely thats lost? Plus I have a major problem of shifting into third rather than second (it's an older straight auto box). Maybe I should bi7ch less, i'm sure our racing line was a lot more impressive than if we'd been messing with the gears (as some grassy excursions proved)

Oh well guess i'll add gearbox to my list of mods. Maybe a nice hollinger six speed sequential. Just seems that if you're going to change an auto for a manual you should do it in a targa top supra so it's pretty unique.

Sorry for diverting your thread eye.

Er... I think Phil you forgot stuff like the high-stall torque convertor, and two fapping huge turbos!!  :biggrin:

On another topic, I looked at the 6-speed sequential stuff and the Quaife looks tasty. But the stock auto is a flaming nice box. I prefer it to the stock manual anyday.

Yours,

J

Quote: from Gareth Davies on 5:07 pm on Oct. 29, 2001[br]But you can't manually select fourth without disabling the manu-u mode, but then it should change up. Personally I found the auto box a real kick in the teeth at bentwaters, as without engine braking the brakes took a real pounding (more than a manual would).

You really should have been using MANU mode on track, you would have greater control of the gear you are in and more than enough engine braking. Next time :)

On the track days I have done I see no advantage in having a manual. All the track speed is done using 2nd and 3rd selecting Manu and o/d off does this.

When you approach the turn and you need to slow down then pull the stick to 2nd. As you accelerate out of the bend and onto the straight change up to 3rd at 6k. I have raced at brands and donington and have never needed 4th. The fastest I have gone on the straights at donington is 115 MPH.

The only different thing with the auto is if you select second at too fast a speed it will change down when the speed of the car has slowed a bit from braking. This can feel a little weird and very very dangerous in the wet ( I have not raced in the wet). But as you get better at track days you will  select 2nd when the car is ready.

P.S. I was killing many many cars on the track all of course manual. When I take people out in the Supra on the track most comment on the speed of the Auto and cannot believe the performance.

Of course some cars killed me but most were track cars only on slicks. They go home on a trailer, I just drive out of the gates and drive home.

regards

Guest Martin F

I can see an 'Auto vs Manual' thread coming here :biggrin:

My feelings are that a manual would allow you more engine breaking when entering corners and thus preserve breaks more. Also you may find it more predictable setting up a manual for a corner than an auto, unless you missed the gear of course :o

But saying that i did a trackday in our auto MKIII back in May and most of the time just left the car in auto mode and it was great to drive. Easier to concentrate on the course rather than worrying about which gear you are in or should be in.

As for the 'Manu' mode affecting 0-60 and giving you more power; as far as i am aware the box locks the gears at different speeds in manual mode compared to the auto mode thus allowing quicker acceleration and more effecient transfer of power. I was going to look up the differences but as yet haven't had chance.

I guess driving an Auto MKIII is not the same as an Auto MKIV.

Sorry I am not saying that an Auto is better then a manual. That is an individuals preferences.

All I am saying is that on the track I only ever use two gears and with the Auto set in Manu an O/D off you can have engine braking.

Please no threads on Auto v Manual that is just up to each individual taste.

It is fun at track days showing the power of the Supra and then people see it is an auto.

regards

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Brian Jackett on 10:35 am on Oct. 31, 2001[br]I guess driving an Auto MKIII is not the same as an Auto MKIV.

regards

Oh Dear, Oh dear................

The auto MKIV box is a derivative of the MKIII box.

(Edited by Martin F at 11:12 am on Oct. 31, 2001)

• 2 weeks later...

had the car dynoed this w/e at well lane turbo centre in batley. the guy doing the dyno seemed to know what he was doing & ran it as it says on mkiv.com.

i was quite suprised by the results.

@ fly 346bhp at 6520

295torq

this seemed a little high to me considering the only mod done to my car (as far as i know) is hks priest cat back exhaust. does this seem correct?

thanks for everyones help, ta

ps. he ran the car a couple of times in manu mode and couldnt get as good a result. someting to do with "negatives"??!! (he couldnt explain this so i could understand).

silver aero [jpsec]mkiv. hks priest exhaust (still wondering about the rest)

Quote: from Martin F on 11:22 am on Oct. 31, 2001[br]Yes

The MANU override changed significantly from the MkIII to the MkIV, have a read through the Toyota manuals on http://www.mkiv.com it details the changes from the MKIII system to the MkIV system. If I remember rightly (long time since I read it), the MkIII system would go into 3rd even with the stick in the 2nd gear position, which doesn't happen in the MkIV, a few other things as well.