The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Laquer spraying tips!

supRo

I have a small piece of Carbon fibre (50cm X 20 cm) Sticky back flexible sheeting that I'm thinking of laquering.

Would that be suitable for spraying with laquer and having never done laquer spraying before (I have done little bit of paint and graffiti spraying before!), whats the best technique?

Thanks,

Ro

Carbon Fibre usually has its own gelcoat, which gives a similar effect to a laquer coat...unless you are talking about the basic untreated carbonfibre weave.

I think if you were going to spray it you would need to use a resin, i.e a clear glassfibre type resin/hardner and spray that onto it.

Probably better to speak with a customiser or even boatbuilders on this one....

If you can find a glasss fibre supplier near you go and buy some clear resin and hardener, plus some release polish.

Go buy a piece of flat metal which is bigger then your piece of CF to use as a flat mould.

Treat one side of the metal with the release polish and then brush on a coat of clear resin (mixed with hardener). Let it cure for a couple of hours. Leave it on the metal and then brush on another coat of resin mix, lay your CF on top and brush more resin onto the CF. Let it cure and then release it from your metal mould. Trim to size with a stanley or mini hacksaw.

Would be easier to get a pre treated piece though!!!:)